Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered list (procedure) with graphics

Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My procs have graphics of GUI snippets, using the <OL></OL> (and removing extra pairs). Looks great in RH. In published Help, it SKIPS numbers (giving the unnumbered graphics paragraphs an "unseen" number).
Item 20 on Peter Grainge's web site doesn't work...yet I've done this successfully in the past,

Also, procs have Times Roman numbers with Verdana text, but Adobe's RoboHelp for HTML topic titled Bullets Within Numbered Lists Are Incorrect (https://www.substraterecords.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=449&thread...) doesn't help with my CSS, which appears to be derived from definitions set using RH toolbar to create/edit styles; I see no place to designate a style for numbered list.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached snippet from proc that contains screenshot: numbering is fine in WYSIWYG of RH 5 for HTML, but in published Help, step 3 is numbered with 4, and 3 seems to be skipped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response to a similar, recent question.

The style "P.Numlist" and the class assignment "<li class=kadov-p-CNumlist>" are not compatible. List styles need to be controlled with OL, UL, and LI styles.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon (or others)
Could you please provide some actual samples from a .css file?

Here's some OL and UL in my .css file, which all topics are using (how would you specify them differently?):

BulList = Normal+margin-left: 0px; list-style: inside disc; (paragrph has a hanging indent for the disc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon (or others)
Could you please provide some actual samples from a .css file?

Here's some OL and UL in my .css file, which all topics are using (how would you specify them differently?):

BulList = Normal+margin-left: 0px; list-style: inside disc; (paragrph has a hanging indent for the disc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(cont'd)
Numlist = Normal + list-style: decimal; OL:'\007b' 'margin-top' 5pt margin-bottom: 5pt; font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; font-size 10 pt;

NumListAbc = Normal + list-style: lower-alpha

Question = Normal + list-style: inside (url9bgred.gif);

Why is OL missing from the NumListAbc, why are numbers in Numlist in Times Roman font, what is '\007b' why is kadov interjecting its own definitions? Why is Question putting a (red) bullet on one line and the text of the question on the next line--only on compiled page, WYSIWYG looks fine. BulList does same thing. (How do you express these in a .css?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 23, 2008 Oct 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dopey me, and here I thought I had pointed yenelli to a previous response that did have an actual sample from a .css file!

Oh, wait, that response does have an actual sample from a .css file. Now, why is yenelli still asking for an actual sample? Hmmmm....

Maybe yenelli was too busy to link to that response? And that W3C web site has a sample that you can actually edit and see the changed results on-the-fly!

Oh, well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Merge This,
That's not helpful, though it is sarcastic. I reviewed the examples in the referenced message before I asked for additional help.

My .css file, opened in Notepad, is heaps of kadov definitions with explicit warnings not to edit or delete. Do I put your code before or after or into the Kadov definitions?

Futher, the lists and procedures in the TrueCode view of my TOPIC files are couched in <OL></OL> and <UL> </UL>.
Here's the sample code in the referenced topic:

You would be better off assigning the OL and UL styles separately, and adding the font info there, such as here for OL:

OL { margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;}

So, in RoboHelp'w WYSIWYG what style does one assign to numbered paragraphs in a procedure? Just use Normal style and use the RoboHelp formatting buttons (<Create a Numbered List> <Create a Bulleted List>)? I have (alphabetically) numbered substeps, secondary paragraphs that have no numbers, and screenshots in the proc. RH puts numbers on the screenshots. If I used straight HTML, I'd throw in a couple of <br> and that would solve the issue. I'm tyring to use the RH UI to apply styles and I am not able to decipher how to apply your OL "code sample" using the Formatting Toolbar in RH. Are you suggesting one doesn't use styles (NumList)?

How does your OL code sample relate to the NumList and NumListAbc styles in my question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and How does the W3C sample relate to Robohelp Formatting toolbar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
"Are you suggesting one doesn't use styles (NumList)?" Yes, I am.

You're still thinking in Word formatting, as far as "styles" go. I've found that best practice is to use the basic OL/UL/LI HTML elements for formatting, and completely forget numlist/bulletlist styles. (An important side effect of this method is that the lists will appear exactly the same when/if you generate Printed Doc, which isn't usually the case when using "styles.")

As to the W3C site I provided, click CSS List on the left, then click "The different list-item markers in ordered lists." Another window will open with two panes, and a button labeled "Edit the text and click me." Try any combination of things and get instant feedback of the results.

"Do I put your code before or after or into the Kadov definitions?" Neither; these CSS elements will be used instead of your current "styles." For example, the entire "P.Numlist" declaration would no longer be used, or needed. Once you've added the elements to CSS, RH might add some DO NOT DELETE stuff; ignore it and leave it alone. (Some RH code is added simply to render your formatting in the WYSIWYG editor, while other code actually controls how things get generated in your output.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp