• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So this is a AE optimization Cache question I have had for years...

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a AE optimization question I have had for years, but have never gotten a clear answer to…Here goes….I know you want your project files to be on a separate drive from your AE Cache. I also assume that your AE Cache folder should live on your fastest drive right? In my situation that would be the internal SSD…the same drive that the AE application and Mac OS are on. Is that OK? My project files are on a slower external SSD drive. Is that the fastest performance option I have? Should I be doing something different? Thanks Tom! Oh I also have a third external SSD I could use in this configuration as well!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Hello Roei,

don't put the cache on a traditional HDD, this makes no sense. Instead, save up some money to get a second SSD and stay with your setup until than. It's not like your SSD will die.... NOW!, but it will, someday. And this day is coming a bit faster, because of AE cache. In fact I think it's more likely, that you will have a brand new workstation before the SSD is at it's half lifetime. Or they invented some new and faster drive.

By separating you can also be sure to get best disk perfo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply doesn't matter. Unless they are super-special storage SSDs or SSD-RAIDs they all suffer from the same issue at sucking at linear write access with large files. It's the nature of how SSDs work - great for lots of small files, lousy for even a single movie clip. The rest is just people falling for Adobe's (and everyone else's in the industry) false advise based on marketing myths and doctored up benchmarks. It really is that simple. A cheap SSD from an electronics supermarket will not do anything miraculous and may in fact be a lot slower than a conventional platter drive for these use cases. That and of course  it will self-destruct rather quickly with so many write cycles.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my understanding is that read/write should be on a separate disk if possible. one for read, other for write. I use a non-SSD for my projects folder an basically anything that's not my system files. for my system files I use an SSD.  read/write is on the same drive for me since I like to keep my file structure in the same folder for organization purposes. I use disk cache in my system SSD.

would love to hear on what other users use for setups and what they have found.  Mylenium​ what would you recommend for a setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A SSD outperforms a HDD in any scenario by large scale! Especially when it comes to random read/write of small files.

AE cache files are around 8MB (version 14.2.1). Putting this files on a SSD will speed up your workflow.

Due to lates real-life tests, Samsung 850Pro SSDs last for at least 2,2 PB, up to 9,1PB (SSD-Langzeittest beendet: Exitus bei 9,1 Petabyte | heise online ). So I wouldn't worry much about lifetime, when you use a SSD as cache drive. Also keep in mind, that the cache drive don't hold any critical data. When it dies, simply replace it. Prices are constantly falling. No big deal.

In my setup, I have 1 SSD for system and applications, 1 SSD for cache and 1 NAS for project files. I only use Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. We have a newly build workstation at work, where we got 1 SSD for system and applications, 1 M.2 SSD for cache and again the NAS for project files. Again, all Samsung 850 Pro (M.2 is EVO due to availability).

Reading and writing speeds are very high, around 400MB/s for SSDs, and above 1GB/s for M.2.

To give you a clear answer to your question: No, it's not OK to put System, Applications and AE Cache on the same drive. Keep in mind, that AE cache will let your drive die faster (even if it took a long time), prepare for that case by separating critical data with none critical ones. It doesn't really matter, where your project files are stored. This will only affect the time it needs to be loaded into RAM. When you have an additional SSD, than use this one for cache, even if it's external.

Cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Martin. I do use my disk cache to my system's SSD. now maybe I will change that. I only have my other drive which is not SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Roei,

don't put the cache on a traditional HDD, this makes no sense. Instead, save up some money to get a second SSD and stay with your setup until than. It's not like your SSD will die.... NOW!, but it will, someday. And this day is coming a bit faster, because of AE cache. In fact I think it's more likely, that you will have a brand new workstation before the SSD is at it's half lifetime. Or they invented some new and faster drive.

By separating you can also be sure to get best disk performance for both, system and cache. SSDs are pretty fast, but IOPS are not unlimited.

Cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Martin. Will try that. I know I need that SSD... will need to get in touch with a technician. when it comes to hardware I am at risk of doing more harm then good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi tendriltom,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if our experts’ advice helped you or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines