Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zotac 1070 8Gb?

LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this popped up on Newegg ...

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 ZT-P10700G-10M 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Su...

At $479USD ... and given I need a card fairly soon ... decent deal?

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a GTX970 in my main editing rig ... we've upgraded another computer so that it can also do some editing work, but it needs a GPU better than an older Radeon. So my 970 will be going to that machine, I'll upgrade this rig to do so ... ergo, the question about the 1070.

And I do a lot of 4k->1080 timelines, and well ... yea, I'm heavy at throwing Lumetri around also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gtx 1070's are suppose to be about $350, so not really a good deal. zotac is also a questionable/bad brand, i would avoid them and stick with the big brands like asus, msi, gigabyte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ... or maybe this MSI 1O6O for $340? 6GB but only 1280 CUDA cores ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too expensive for a GTX 1060. In fact, right now is a very bad time to purchase a new mid-range GPU due to the recent cryptocurrency mining craze, as prices for all of the good brands are far higher than what they are supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know ... the prices & availability are pretty startling compared to a few months back. However, I'm not in the position of waiting for some potential future where the price & availability might come down. I'll be buying with the next week. Just ... deadlines.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the gtx 1060's are suppose to be around $250. the gtx 1060 6gb is somewhat faster than the gtx 970, but if you were looking for a bigger upgrade then you may want to keep looking for a gtx 1070 or 1080. the gtx 1080's are suppose to be around $500 and might be easier to find near that price vs overpriced mid tier cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to get some upgrade, but the main reason I'm moving now is because I have to get the other computer running at something other than a bit slower than a snail. So I was figuring I'd move this one up as much as is practicable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, I would have stayed put for a while longer, and just simply tolerate the other system running slower than a snail for a while longer. This is because there are no good new GPU options in your price range, as some of those that are currently available are actually slower than your current GTX 970.

On the other hand, have you ever thought about staying put on your main editing rig, and simply upgrading the GPU on the secondary rig to something like a GTX 1050 Ti?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping for something a bit ... more, shall we say?

How do the 1050's actually do, with all that minimalist ... stuff?  Sigh.

(And I have looked at some 1080's also ... but would rather not chunk the $780 or so at the moment ... )

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just that right now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We keep hearing about the NVIDIA 1100 series becoming available some time, although there are no recent rumours on the gear blogs.  My plan is to bump the GTX970 from my current system, and get one of the new cards if and when they are ever released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do the 1050's actually do, with all that minimalist ... stuff? 

if you go that route, make sure its the gtx 1050 TI 4gb version as RJL suggested, which is comparable to the gtx 960. it would be ok for lite 4k fx/lumetri and generally recommended to pair with a 4-core cpu. at around $140-150 it could be a decent option to save costs, as long as you are fine sticking with the gtx 970 in your main rig.

(And I have looked at some 1080's also ... but would rather not chunk the $780 or so at the moment ... )

those are gtx 1080 TI prices. i'm talkin about the non-ti version, just gtx 1080, some of which are going for $550-$600. those prices are still expensive, but the gtx 1080 is also a decent step up in performance from the gtx 1070 and better value than the gtx 1070's at nearly $500.

i'm not sure what rumors trevor found for the gtx 1100's, but he might be speaking of the rumors bill were spreading. after i questioned bill on the source, bill agreed it was very likely false. unless trevor has something else to suggest a recent release schedule, i wouldn't count on new cards soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the decision will be either to put a minimalist 1050ti in the sub-rig for $145 or so, or ... go to a 1080 non-ti for $550 or so.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would this be the alternative to the cheapo 1050 route ... ? It's "only" $510 @ Newegg ...

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Vi...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines