• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enabling Glossary for layout

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2008 Jun 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a glossary but when I generate the files the glossary does not exist. All RoboHelp "help" says is to enable the Glossary but it doesn't say HOW to enable it.

Kind of ironic that a help system is pretty unhelpful.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Not user friendly

How you enable depends on your output type.

For compiled .CHM files, you edit the Window properties.
For WebHelp/FlashHelp, you edit the properties of the single source layout. There is an intermediate screen in the settings dialogs with a check mark for enabling the Glossary.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the RH X5.0.2 help, I typed enable glossary in the Search box. I selected the first topic, "Enabling the Glossary pane" and clicked the Display button.

After the first two paragraphs of discussion In the "Enabling the Glossary pane" topic, the heading To enable the Glossary pane is followed by dropdown links that reveal the how-to instructions for each of the four layouts in which the Glossary is supported. The instructions in there are exactly what Rick provided in his reply.

If you are unfamiliar with some of the terms in these instructions, all the writers on this forum will take the time to help you. However, please do your homework instead of ranting about nonexistent slights to your sensibilities.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2008 Jun 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Rick. I did eventually find it on my own.

Leon - I have RoboHelp 7 not X5.0.2. Another RoboHelp user and I both found RoboHelp's help system to be very unhelpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, I just checked Adobe's "LiveDocs" RH7 User Guide, and I have to agree with Not very friendly.

Eeeeiiiiiiyyuuuuuu!

It really does smell!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2008 Sep 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found it in RH 7, yup, that really helps:

"Depending on the output you are generating, you can select the glossary of your choice or can go with the default glossary.

In case, you have not created any glossary, the Glossary option in the Layout folder is grayed out."

I see the dll, I have Glossary in other Help files, imported this one, I see it in Project Manager, can edit, don't see the tab when I compile HTML chm. Whta Layout folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unfamiliar with Adobe terms in these instructions. How can I do my homework? There is no recent RH book for a reasonable price and the Help file is cryptic and terse!

In the Single Source Layout pane, I can select the classic MS HTML Help, but the Glossary field on the Help Options box is grayed out and inaccessible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, here is clue! Right in the Help file too! Under Create a Glossary:

Note: In Microsoft HTML Help, when you distribute the final output, include a file called HHActiveX.DLL with the .CHM file. This is the ActiveX control that supports online glossaries. (This file needs to be copied and registered on all end user systems with Windows.)

OK, where is link telling how to distribute and register this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi there

You might perform a full text search for the term HHActiveX.DLL. You should find the topic that tells how to distribute and register this file.

In a CHM file, you should end up with an additional tab alongside the TOC, Index and Search tabs. The tab label should say Glossary. When clicked (assuming everything is in place) the user sees the Glossary terms in the upper area of the Navigation panel and the Definitions in the lower area.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp