Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost bookmarks between DC and XPro

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always when rushed . . .

I extensively bookmark very long legal records in Acrobat. I use DC Pro. A couple of weeks ago I received a notice that it was no longer able to open documents and that I had to uninstall and re-install it. I was rushed and didn't want to learn how to do that, so I just used Acrobat X Pro temporarily, which was still on my computer. Has been working fine. Today, all of my bookmarks from the documents created in DC are gone. The document is there, but no bookmarks.

I thought maybe they wouldn't open in X Pro anymore, so I tried to open DC again. The app opened without the error message, but when I try to open a document in DC, I now get the message that the document itself has disappeared and no longer exists. I'm thinking that the two programs don't like talking to eachother?? Any ideas how to recover my bookmarks? BTW "Hide After Use is not checked" and Initial Visibility is set to Page and Bookmarks.

Very, very grateful for any ideas.

I use macbook pro, and Yosemite 10.10.5

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW -- if it helps, here are the document properties. All of the Comments also are not visible.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 4.36.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version used won't affect bookmarks, which haven't changed in 20 years. You say you don't see them. Do you mean the bookmark panel is blank (ready to add the first bookmark) or that you can't see the bookmark panel at all?

the message that the file no longer exists in DC - DON'T use the recent document list, use Open from the File Menu.  Drag it from Dropbox controlled folders to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

Bookmark panel is blank and Comments section states No Comments in this document.

I was able to open a document from Dropbox, as you suggested; however, the Bookmarks panel still is blank. The document (and others) are heavily annotated, so I know the work is there somewhere, but I cannot seem to access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the file was flattened, possibly by converting it to images and then re-creating it, which means the comments and bookmarks information are lost for good, unless you can access an earlier version of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't knowingly flattened the file, but also, it is not just one file. There are 5 files, nearly 2,000 pages. The only files that are having this vanishing annotations problem are ones that I scanned originally to create a .pdf, opened and annotated in Acrobat DC Pro, and then subsequently opened in Acrobat X Pro. My other files appear fine. I've bee using Acrobat for years to annotate and have never had this problem. The only difference is having opened them in X Pro.

Much thanks for responding. I appreciate any and all ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share one of these files with us (via Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines