• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Correcting for uneven lighting?

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use a Haida style paining of a cinnamon bear as a greeting card but the picture of the painting was poorly illuminated so black at top has become gray at the bottom.  How can I make the colors consistent?  I am learning to use Photoshop 13 so do not let a seemingly over simplified answer inhibit you.  Gil S

HaidaBear.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some nasty colour changes as well as the shading. There is also some lens flare.

One way is to make a mask from the 4 paint colours and use those masks on solid Color Fill layers

To do this use the quick selection tool initially make a selection of the brown areas. (You can Alt click to remove from the quick selection and click to add.

Add a solid color layer (set to brown) and then add a layer mask to that layer based on your selection (Layer - Add layer mask - Reveal selection). Now you can tidy up that mask by clicking on it and painting with white where you want the layer to show and black where you do not.

Turn that layer off by clicking on the eye symbol in the layers panel

Repeat for the other colors

Turn the new color layers back on (eye symbols)

Add another solid color layer with the paper color underneath the previous 4 colours.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Dave.  I took a different approach.  As the OP mentioned the 'blacks at thew top', I am thinking that the darkest tones need to be black, or close to it.  So I pulled up the blacks with a curves layer.

You can see from the colour sampler points that #2 is not quite there, so to even it up I ran a gradient down the curves layer mask.  Rather than stabbing in the dark trying to find the right start point for the gradiant, I set the foreground colour to 160,160,160 which is getting the three locations reasonably close.

The background still has a problem, so I made an alpha mask from the red channel to make a layer mask for the graphic, placed a solid colour behind it.  The curves layer was affecting the background, so I clipped it to the graphic layer.

My blacks are not perfect though, and Dave's approach gave you consistent tones across the graphic, so his way is probably better.

A little side story about how you can get into a grove rut with your Photoshop workflows.  Late last night I finished a commissioned montage for the 'Centre for Applied Cross-cultural Research (CACR)' which involved a ton of inter layer masking.  I'd obviously had the workflow from that programmed into me, because my first approach to preventing the curves layer affecting the background was to do the same thing with a compound layer mask like this

That was crazy because clipping is a single click operation. But it's a good excuse to let me show off my montage 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!!  Your montage would eat up about 10 years of my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Nice job Dave.....

Not that nice - I missed the mask on the bears left foot.

gsstratton - If you do follow the colour-fill method and want to change the tone of any colour just double click the colour-fill layer and the colour picker will open so you can alter it. Here I've darkened the brown :

Trevor - nice montage - did you do also do the video this year ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor - nice montage - did you do also do the video this year ?

Dave

Oh dear.  That has me cringing with embarrassment.  I shot >100Gb with three cameras at the last festival, and apart from the little video below, I have not got round to editing the rest of it.  I find trawling through a lot of video hard work.  

This comes with a warning.  The young lady has worse pitch control than Lynda McCartney.  Actually, I just listened to Lynda again when finding that link, and on second thoughts, no one ever had worse pitch control than her. 

Kathy and the Kiwis - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha - I see what you mean.

Sounds like you need a deadline

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines