• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I view zoomed out InDesign documents as a grid?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I zoom out of a 40pp Indesign document the view on screen is one long column. What I'd like to see is all the pages grouped (in order) horizontally and vertically in a grid pattern as oppose to one long column.

Is Indesign capable of such a view? I think this could be a real asset to have.

What I view on my monitor when zoomed out…

what i see.jpg

How I want to view my document…

what i want to see.jpg

Any help or a solution would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get quite close: Open the pages panel as wide as it will go. Set the view to '"horizontal" (View Pages > Horizontally), and the thumbnail size to "Jumbo" (Panel Options > Pages size). You don't see the pasteboard this way though, but you do see the pages.

Ariel

PS If you save this as a custom workspace, you can quickly switch to this "plan" view and back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for your idea, I can see what you mean…

Unfortunately it doesn't quite solve why I need the grid view. I'd need to be able to edit select/copy/cut/paste/delete throughout the document and the Pages panel is just a preview.

Cheers

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right -- the only thing you could do this way is to rearrange pages...

The only other idea I have is to open several windows (Arrange > New Window), and then choose one of the tiling options, so you can have multiple views of your document open simultaneously...

Ariel

PS Is Chuzz short for Chuzzlewit by any chance? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What Timothy said is the only closest solution to your problem, i can think of.

You can file a feature request to Adobe here Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, years later this helped me!

Exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of like a "Slide Sorter" in a presentation application? Is that what you're going for? When I have had ID files that I need to rearrange, or duplicate plages, throughout I end up doing in Acrobat PDF after words. It's easier to look at the pages tray on the side. Drag it out, and now I see it like a Slide Sorter view which I can then rearrange, copy and paste, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Not just a page order configuration –  "I'd need to be able to edit select/copy/cut/paste/delete throughout the document…" Not the pages but individual elements on the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's up?

See my screenshot:

2017-07-21_11-54-07.png

Just do "new window":

2017-07-21_11-55-47.png

P.S. Yes, you need to arrange "by hands" pages and do equal scaling in the windows, but this is not so big problem. IMHO

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines