4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 6:41 AM by Eva-KCI

Formatting Issue with Bullet/Numbered Lists

Eva-KCI Level 1
      I am working with RH X5, WebHelp output

If I create a numbered list and only want the first word to be bold, the system automatically changes ALL the text to bold. Formatiing looks accurate in WYSIWYG, however, when I view the output (eye glass icon) all the text is bold.

What can I do to correct/prevent this from occurring?

Thank you,
      Eva
        • 1. Re: Formatting Issue with Bullet/Numbered Lists
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
          You can create a style where the number is bold and the text is whatever but not where the first word is different.

Not something you can do in Word or HTML so I am not sure how you have managed to do in the WYSIWYG editor.

RH HTML or RH for Word?

• 2. Re: Formatting Issue with Bullet/Numbered Lists
            Eva-KCI Level 1
            The output is HTML.

This actually does work in Word without creating a style sheet. Word will auto format or put the auto emphasis on the first word after you have manually done the first few.

What I do not understand is why it looks correct in WYSIWYG until you go to the view mode.

Any ideas? suggestions? The intent behind this formatting is to help the user scan through the data and pinpoint sections by the leading bold word.
            • 3. Re: Formatting Issue with Bullet/Numbered Lists
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
              The question was whether you are using RH HTML or RH for Word, not what the output is.

I suspect it is RoboHelp for Word and that would explain the difference. You have got Word to work that way but it is not something that translates to HTML.

I understand the requirement. I address it by using tables as then the reader can scan down the left column without their eye getting distracted by the general text. Set up a table and a list, then see how much quicker it is to scan a table. Of course, your content may be different and that may not be appropriate.

• 4. Re: Formatting Issue with Bullet/Numbered Lists
                Eva-KCI Level 1
                Hi Peter,
                I'm using RH HTML. Thank you for the feedback & suggestion - I will try laying out the information in a table. I appreciate your response!

Eva