• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Testing the real (and confusing) GPU acceleration impact on Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my gpu performance monitoring software was showing a very little usage (or none) when using Premiere Pro 2017 in tasks where supposedly are accelerated by the graphics card such as warp stabilizer, exporting, etc.

I only was able to see certain peaks of activity but inmediatelly go down to 0% and searching the web and this forum I found other people are worried about this.

Is the GPU helping?

So I made some test.

Here is my build:

i7 3820 oc at 4,6ghz 4 cores 8 threads (this old boy keeps giving nice performance)

32gb ram

gtx 1050 ti

os and apps in SSD

project files, cache, renders and exports in a Samsung 960 evo m.2 disk via pcie adapter

I did some test with and without gpu acceleration in project settings with two 17 sec clips 1080 50p and 4k 25p

(gigabyte gpu monitoring software and GPU-z is what I use to see activity)

*minutes

cpu only                         mercury playback engine gpu acceleration cuda

apply warp stabilizer

4k                                                                                          5:21,63                                                  5:19,53

1080                                                                                      2:45,00                                                  2:43,00

render preview warp stab. applied

4k                                                                                         00:40,50                                                 0        

1080                                                                                     00:48,10                                                 0        

render preview 40% slower with optical flow

4k                                                                                         03:06,61                                                  00:53,89

1080                                                                                     04:59,00                                                  01:32,55        

export to h265

4k to 4k                                                                               02:25,10                                                   00:29,10

1080 to 1080                                                                       01:18,53                                                   00:19,53

Now that I see the results it is obvious that Gpu is helping (a lot) but it is not showing the expcted intense activity like the CPU does. So the GPU works in a different way or the monitoring software is not doing well.

I´m waiting for a 1080 ti. When it arrives I´ll do some comparisons with the 1050 ti. Although I´ll be expecting some differences I´m sure the 5x times more expensive card won´t give me 5x more performance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?