• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Cache issue-how to change save location?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5 Master Collection on a Win7 Pro 64

bit PC. The C: (System) drive is on an SSD 64 Gb d

rive. My problem seems to be that when working on a project in PPro CS5, the folder that Premiere creates to store Media Cache files is located on the Sytstem Drive (C:) But because my C: drive is a small capacity (64 Gb), it starts to get dangerously 'full' very soon. I've installed the CS5 programs on another drive, and I do know about saving the project on another drive and also choosing Scratch locations on a media drive, but I can't figure out how to get Media Cache files to save to a drive other than my C: drive. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I did search for about half an hour on these forums and didn't find anything relating to my specific issue. Thank you, Vern

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit/Preferences/Media...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, your pagefile info was extremely helpful to me and easy to follow

With regards to Media Cache and using your Four Disk Setup Recommendation, do you suggest your Media Cache "Files" and Media Cache "Database" be stored on the same drive, just different Folders?

Do you prefer to Check or Uncheck box "save Media Cache Files next to Originals when ever posslibe"?

Best Regards,

Frank Hahn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frank,

I prefer to leave them unchecked and to regularly clean the media cache, say once every couple of weeks. Whatever is needed again will be recreated and gives me the opportunity to get a new cup of coffee, the rest is removed and does not fill up my drives and prevents corruption, but that is just my workflow.

I leave my media cache files on a raid0 and my media files on a raid30.

D:\Video\Media Cache and my media on E:\Video Projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Related to this. I just upgraded to Premiere Pro CC.  I have ticked all the boxes to have the cache located in my internal E drive on both project settings and edit preferences, but Adobe is still dumping everything in the users/me/appdata/roaming/adobe/common folder.  I did not have this problem in CS6.  Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of converting a CS6 project file to CC, create a new project and import all the elements from CS6 file through the Media Browser.  You should then be able to change the locations permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  That did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm confused.  I too want to change where my Cache Files are saved as well as Media Files.  If I select Drive D will it automatically create the file name and path or do I have to create the file first.  2019-11-03_12-06-20.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much - I feel  really silly, not being able to figure that out myself, so thanks for your patience and quick and accurate response to my post, and I promise to look harder before posting again in the future!

Vern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone who struggles with this bug, you can use this as a workaround:

https://www.howtogeek.com/201930/how-to-automatically-delete-files-in-your-download-folder-on-a-sche...

Just change the directory from the Downloads folder to:

"C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\Video\Media Cache Files\"

Also, change the timeframe in the .bat file from -30 to -0, that will delete all the files in the folder, not just the files older than 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines