Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw doesn't update in LR

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

I have trouble opening RAW files from my Nikon D5.

I have a new MacBook, so system and everything is "fresh"

MacOSX: 10.12.5

Here are my exact steps:

1. installed Application Manager

2. downloaded Photoshop (he downloaded automatically Camera Raw and put it in the applications)

3. downloaded Bridge

4. downloaded Lightroom

now, in Photoshop and Bridge everything worked fine, but LR always says "cant regognize Raw", so I checked and my LR says "CameraRaw 9.0"

(I didnt check what Bridge or Photoshop were saying). So then:

5. downloaded CameraRaw 9.10

-> cant open image in LR, because it still says "9.0". PS & Bridge: "9.10"

6. deinstalled just LR

now PS & Bridge say "no CameraRaw installed" (wtf?!?)

7. downloaded LR again, restarted

8. installed CameraRaw 9.10, restarted

9. still everything like before:

LR says CameraRaw 9.0

PS & Bridge: 9.10

When I'm trying to import a file, he says "cant regognize Raw". Below it says "search for Update" but when I click on it he always says "version-check not successful because either you dont have internet or the update-servers are not available." (I'm paraphrasing)

HELP!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The Nikon D5 was first supported by Camera Raw 9.5 and Lightroom 6.5 (or CC 2015.5 if you have the Cloud version).

Camera Raw is only used by Photoshop and Bridge.

Lightroom does not use Camera Raw. The features of Camera Raw are built into the core program code of Lightroom. So if you update to Lightroom 6.5 you have all the features and camera support of Camera Raw 9.5.

The latest version of Lightroom is 6.12 (or CC 2015.12).

Keep your Lightroom version up to date

So

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The Nikon D5 was first supported by Camera Raw 9.5 and Lightroom 6.5 (or CC 2015.5 if you have the Cloud version).

Camera Raw is only used by Photoshop and Bridge.

Lightroom does not use Camera Raw. The features of Camera Raw are built into the core program code of Lightroom. So if you update to Lightroom 6.5 you have all the features and camera support of Camera Raw 9.5.

The latest version of Lightroom is 6.12 (or CC 2015.12).

Keep your Lightroom version up to date

So update Camera Raw to 9.12 for Photoshop and Bridge. Update Lightroom to 6.12 (or CC 2015.12) and you'll be able to open Raw files from the D5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the quick answer and clarification!

I checked in Help - System and it says:

Version von Lightroom:  CC 2015 [1014445]

Lizenz: Creative Cloud

Betriebssystem: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.12 [5]

So you are saying I should switch from "Light CC 2015" to "Lightroom 6"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all. You are still running on the initial installation of Lightroom CC 2015. You need to update to Lightroom CC 2015.10 .2. That update was released just yesterday. There have been a number of updates that have been released since the installation that you are currently running on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks for the answer.

But how come Adobe Applications or LR doesnt tell me about any update? As you see I've deinstalled and installed again, so that's why I assumed downloading via Adobe Applications will give me the lates LR-version by default...

I'm downloading the manual installation dmg now, because I can't seem to update any other way...

thanks! will be back in 5min

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christophk73625867  wrote

But how come Adobe Applications or LR doesnt tell me about any update?

I have the same question myself. I've come to the conclusion that the update mechanism is flaky and not to be relied upon. I'm usually aware of updates way before the automated mechanism kicks in. It's wrong more than it's right for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok now he doesn't let me install it because of non-administrator-rights?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact error message?

If it's something like this

then type your local administrator username and password. The login you normally use when you use your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-21 um 01.54.03.png

meaning "cant update. if you want to update talk to your admin... updates were surpressed by the admin".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable auto-updates in Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite 6 apps

See if you have got a file named AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat. If you have, delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a plain text file, called "AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat", wrote

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<Preferences>

<Suppressed>1</Suppressed>

</Preferences>

in it, put it in that folder but still the same error    

man, this is starting to get really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to create one. The idea is NOT to have that file.

If it exists, delete it. That file suppresses updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, that guide says otherwise.

Nevertheless I uninstalled Lightroom, deleted those files... Error still appears 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't want to get side-tracked but the guide says: "To disable access to updates for all users on a given machine, " If the file exists, updates are disabled.

Some users have found that file, disabled it and then updated successfully. Didin't work for you. Let's move on.

Something in Sierra is blocking your Lightroom updates.

Where are you up to now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing... Lightroom is deinstalled. Update wont launch.

I feel like waiting a few months until the Application tool casually decides to push an update, so that non-computer-experts are able to use it.

Obviously I want to find a solution, but where is this heading? I just want to open Raws and not deleting cryptic files in some weird folders to be able to use my program (which I payed for) only to find out that it's still not working. I'm not good with this stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. This SHOULD simple. It should not require rustling around in obscure files in your operating system.

All I can suggest is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I also dont get:

why isn't the Application Installer here: Download Photoshop Lightroom

the most current version with every update integrated? Then at least that administrator problem would be fixed.

Anyway, I'm going to use my slower machine, because (amazingly) there is LRCC2015.7 installed by the ApplicationManager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

alright, I installed Lightroom and just copied the lightroom 2015.7 folder from my old computer and overwrote it with that 2015 version. Messy but works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but I didn't have "AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat" to begin with. Just "AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines