• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slowing Down A Movie Clip - Is There An Easy Way.

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am building a simple movie clip and want it to run at 5 or 6 fps. My entire animation is running at 30 fps. I'm looking for a simple script to run the movie clip at a slower rate.

Can you direct me to where I might find a script what will work in Adobe Animate? All the Google stuff does not work.

Thank you,

Sky

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

As I said in my first post, you can achieve this using a timer. You set a timer to advance the movieClip at a set interval. It won't give you a very smooth animation, particularly at frame rates below 10 fps. Things tend to look jerky rather than smooth. Another consideration is that the slower movieClip will also need to be shorter in total frames. If your main animation is running at 30 fps and it 300 frames long, for instance, then the movieclip running at 2 fps will only get to show 20 frame

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this script but, it does not work.

stage.frameRate = 12;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to change the frame of this movie clip at runtime, say in response to some user input? Or do you just want that one movie clip to play at the slower rate? If it's the second then you could just make that movie clip's timeline longer and seems to be playing at a slower rate.

If it's the first then you could, if your movie clip uses the timeline, write a timer action that has the playback head in that movie clip wait some number of ticks and advance to the next frame for each of the frames in that movie clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is something that will always play at an apparent lower frame rate, then you are Doing It Wrong by trying to programmatically change the frame rate. Just design it to look how you want it to look in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for your response.

First, yes, this movie clip will always run in the background.

I tried the stretch out the timeline, and, it does slow down the clip quite a bit. but, when I go past 1500 frames, the entire animation will not test, unless I remove the MC completely.

The MC is nothing more that a PNG that I have subdued with the alpha channel. I really like the action, but, the MC needs to be running at 2 maybe 3 fps.

Oh, I have designed it exactly the way I want it, and, changing the frame rate WILL slow down the other animations I have designed into the entire piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errr, 1500 frames just for a background animation? What exactly is this animation? Maybe it's something that could be converted to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there are not many replies here, why don't you take a moment to read my original query, it may help you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in the first post that describes the nature of this very long animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in the original query, I am looking for a script, hopefully short that will allow a Movie Clip to run at a different frame rate than the main animation.

It really does not matter what the main animation is, it matters to the movie clip that is continuously running inside the main animation. So, as I have indicated in the original post:

Hello,

I am building a simple movie clip and want it to run at 5 or 6 fps. My entire animation is running at 30 fps. I'm looking for a simple script to run the movie clip at a slower rate.

Can you direct me to where I might find a script what will work in Adobe Animate? All the Google stuff does not work.

Thank you,

Sky

Hopefully placing this here, you will read it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the answer you need isn't the answer you want.

This may be one of those times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my first post, you can achieve this using a timer. You set a timer to advance the movieClip at a set interval. It won't give you a very smooth animation, particularly at frame rates below 10 fps. Things tend to look jerky rather than smooth. Another consideration is that the slower movieClip will also need to be shorter in total frames. If your main animation is running at 30 fps and it 300 frames long, for instance, then the movieclip running at 2 fps will only get to show 20 frames.

Here's an example of how that might work: http://www.ddg-designs.com/downloads/framerates.zip

The code to control the slower movieClip is located inside the movieClip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curiously, for Canvas documents you can just set the .framerate property on any movieclip to override the global frame rate. But as noted above, it's a bad idea at low frame rates because it makes animation jerky. And it encourages creating 1500-frame background animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above on the 20th of July:

I've tried this script but, it does not work.

stage.frameRate = 12;

Animate, now takes a —  this.  — to work.

I have tried:

stage.frameRate = 12;

and

this.stage.frameRate = 12;

Neither works as a clip actionscript.

Next?

Thank you,

Sky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted right now, on the today of this month:

I clearly said that only works in Canvas documents. So of course it doesn't work as "clip actionscript".

Second, it's "framerate", not "frameRate".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp, I'm working in a HTML5 canvas. This is the only "canvas" that Animate provides.

Using framerate, not frameRate, it does not work. So, I do thank you. However, are you working with the latest version of Animate CC?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stage.frameRate (upper case R) is ActionScript, and does work. In CreateJS you can set the frame rate of a movieclip (frame rate, lower case r), which includes the main timeline. stage isn't a movieclip.

So, to set the frame rate of everything at the current level and below, do this:

this.framerate = 5;

To set the frame rate of a movieclip 'mc' on the stage of the current level, you do this:

this.mc.framerate = 5;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I did also say to set that property on a movieclip. And Canvas uses JavaScript, not ActionScript.

We use precise terminology for a reason, people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"stage.frameRate (upper case R) is ActionScript, and does work." I did of course mean that it works if you are doing an ActinoScript FLA. I didn't mean to make it sound like CreateJS can understand ActionScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "people" I meant Sky. Ironically I should have been more precise.

We use precise terminology for a reason, Sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh!! Nothing like a forum to know just how intellectual you are? LOL!!

At any rate, enough about bashing the world, and back to my original post of slowing down a movie clip.

Colin, thank you!! You are the first one to note the differences here, I guess that makes us all intellectual, err, umm, Clay excluded.

First, I am working in a HTML5 Canvas, however, the script you have noted still does not work. I have tried it in my main animation, and also, in the movie script which sits inside of the main animation, and, it all defaults to the main animation's FPS.

Would it be beneficial for me to ZIP everything up and place it here so you can get an idea of what I am after?

Thanks again, Colin, really appreciate your efforts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing your file would help. My guess is that you're trying to talk to the movieclip before it is really there. Either have the movieclip set its own frame rate, like this in the timeline of the movieclip:

this.framerate = 5;

or alternately put the:

this.mc.framerate = 5;

on the second frame that mc exists. That way as the script runs you know for sure that 'mc' is ready to be controlled. Putting the script on the first frame 'mc' exists could lead to a problem where 'mc' hasn't really arrived when the script runs.

In your browser you should look at the Error Console. That often will be showing you what errors are going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, just sent you a message regarding sending my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone following along, the final error was that Sky used the outer syntax inside the movieclip. It needed to be this.framerate = 5 instead of this.mc.framerate = 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked perfectly, and, thank you, Colin, as your small amount of education went a long way. Really appreciate all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Seeing your file would help. My guess is that you're trying to talk to the movieclip before it is really there. Either have the movieclip set its own frame rate, like this in the timeline of the movieclip:

this.framerate = 5;

or alternately put the:

this.mc.framerate = 5;

on the second frame that mc exists. That way as the script runs you know for sure that 'mc' is ready to be controlled. Putting the script on the first frame 'mc' exists could lead to a problem where 'mc' hasn't really arrived when the script runs.

In your browser you should look at the Error Console. That often will be showing you what errors are going on."

I think this (Colin's post) should be marked as the correct answer. It meets the original posters request.

I tested this.framerate = 5; on one of mine. I put the code at the very start and this controls the stage, but as Clay says it is very jerky. Unless that is the look you are going for.

Also for a movie clip remember to put the code (replace 'mc' from Colin's code with the instance name you have given the movie clip) outside it (i.e. not inside the movie clip) but on the same frame.

Anyway, my main point was that the above joint answer between Colin and Clay should be marked correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines