• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing folders and pictures

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same old problem encountered by so many others.  I have not moved files outside of Lightroom, but I did purchase a larger external. No, the drive letter is not the problem.  When I try to find the folders or pictures using the locate function it doesn't specify the location. If I continue I can a merge files question.  Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

If some of the files and folders are missing, then you have indeed ACCIDENTALLY moved or renamed or deleted files or folders.

To fix the problem, you can follow these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simong23203588  wrote

It's the same old problem encountered by so many others. I have not moved files outside of Lightroom, but I did purchase a larger external.

So how did you move the files and did you do so at the top-level of the folder structure so as not to change the subfolder hierarcy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand the question. I didn't move any files or folders. I

simply bought a new external drive. I'm wondering if it's part of the

problem because it's a RAID model and seems to get quite hot.

Only some of my files and folders are missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If some of the files and folders are missing, then you have indeed ACCIDENTALLY moved or renamed or deleted files or folders.

To fix the problem, you can follow these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simong23203588  wrote

Not sure I understand the question. I didn't move any files or folders. I

simply bought a new external drive.

At some point you had to "move" files from the original hard drive to the new external hard drive. That's the question I asked! How did you move the files? Did you move them from inside LR or outside of LR using Finder or Windows Explorer?

simong23203588  wrote

I'm wondering if it's part of the

problem because it's a RAID model and seems to get quite hot.

Only some of my files and folders are missing.

There's also the possibility the RAID drive system is starting to fail. Normally you would get an error message from the drive controller so that's not likely the cause.

The link provided should help you find and reconnect the missing folders. It might also help to provide a screenshot of the Library module Folders panel showing the missing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner  wrote

There's also the possibility the RAID drive system is starting to fail. Normally you would get an error message from the drive controller so that's not likely the cause.

I would imagine that if the RAID drive system is starting to fail, the symptoms would NOT be (as stated by the OP) "Only some of my files and folders are missing."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the RAID configuration. If RAID 0 (not recommended) there is no redundancy and a failing drive could cause loss of some files and/or folders. If it's a RAID 1 or 5 system with redundancy the controller will issue a system warning when a drive fails before actual data loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate all the help. Very useful. I reached out to some local

Lightroom users and got some additional tips. One thing that I noticed is

the catalog shows a picture of a model that is missing but the file is a

tif, meaning I copied it from an original raw file. I went looking for the

original and found the file. Is it possible the program got confused by

the copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simong23203588  wrote

Is it possible the program got confused by the copy?

I sincerely doubt that this is what happened.

But, if you're not going to at least check and see if the photos missing in Lightroom were accidentally moved, renamed or deleted, then I doubt will ever get to the bottom of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll do my best to check for all those issues and report back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines