Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2017 doesn't recognize Graphic Card

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My After Effects CC doesn't recognize my GPU or really - any card at all...

have you got any way to help me out?

I'm using a Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Hi Amirbinenfeld,

Nvidia changed the version of Optix required for this generation of GPUs. By doing so, this disables GPU acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer in After Effects. It is suggested that you avoid using ray-traced 3D rendering (as we consider it obsolete) and use the C4D renderer instead for similar work, which is not reliant on any specific GPU or internal library.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrong photo:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amirbinenfeld,

Nvidia changed the version of Optix required for this generation of GPUs. By doing so, this disables GPU acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer in After Effects. It is suggested that you avoid using ray-traced 3D rendering (as we consider it obsolete) and use the C4D renderer instead for similar work, which is not reliant on any specific GPU or internal library.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am not understanding clearly what you are saying. Are you saying that we can not use Adobe Ater Effects with ray-traced 3D rendering on a workstation with a new Nvidia card? As in.... shadows and reflectivity, etc. ? You realize that anything that was working, would have to be completely revamped? How is this acceptable? Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ray-traced renderer is considered obsolete. It is not getting any more development. You may continue using it with older hardware - as is often the case with old software, sometimes you have to keep old hardware around.

That being said, there is a bit of a hack you can do that involves replacing the Optix dll files. (It means the ray-traced renderer will no longer work on the CPU as long as the "hack" is in place, but that was prohibitively slow anyway...) Some info here: Re: 1080Ti doesn't work

I do not know if this trick will work with the newer 2xxx series cards, but it works with the 10xx series cards.

Again, the ray-traced renderer is being deprecated in favor of the Cinema4D renderer which is much faster on the CPU than the ray-traced renderer was and isn't tied to a particular few GPUs.

All of AE's other GPU-accelerated stuff like the VR features and all of the GPU-accelerated effects will work on newer NVIDIA cards just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. What I don't understand is that the Cinema 4D isn't a viable comparison to the GPU based raytracing. If this is Adobe's solution then why is GPU rendering the primary solution at most high-end design shops? Not understanding the reasoning here.

Scott

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slange64  wrote

Thank you for your response. What I don't understand is that the Cinema 4D isn't a viable comparison to the GPU based raytracing. If this is Adobe's solution then why is GPU rendering the primary solution at most high-end design shops? Not understanding the reasoning here.

GPU renderers like Redshift, Cycles 4D, Octane, etc. and the ray-traced renderer that was introduced in 2012 with After Effects CS6 use fairly different underlying tech. They use the GPU to accelerate 3d rendering, but in very different ways. It's not the same kind of tech.

Yes, rendering with the ray-traced renderer on the GPU can be faster than the C4D renderer on the CPU, but that's very dependent on what GPU and CPU you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I understand that the tech is not a fair comparison but do you see how the current solution is actually a downgrade? Not what I expected from Adobe.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do understand what you are saying.

If you would like to see AE include some sort of GPU-accelerated 3d renderer in future versions, please be as specific as you can about the kind of features you would like to see it include and post about it on the After Effects Uservoice forums: After Effects: Hot (973 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines