• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot open any of my PDF files on my mac book.

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue started about a week ago, I have tried every troubleshooting aspect including removal of the program followed by a re-installment, resetting security settings and nothing works.  The files are still not opening and I do have some deadlines to meet, already lost one day in searching help topics and how to contact Adobe support. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

In Mac: the menu bar is at the top of the screen. Apple, Acrobst, File, Edit ... Window.

Main Windows: the menu bar is at the top of the window, unless the title bar. File, Edit, ... Window.

The Window menu should show a list of open files. Does it show the new file you tried to open, but cannot see?

If so try Tile options, also from the Window menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided enough information for us to be able to help you... What version of Acrobat (or Reader) do you have? What OS version? What happens when you try to open a file, exactly? Does it happen with all files, or just some? etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My OS version is: 10.12.5 with all OS updates completed. My Acrobat Pro DC is 2017 continuous release 2017.009.20058.  When I double click on any PDF file Acrobat shows on in the top tool bar as if it has switched applications but nothing happens/opens it just shows my homepage in the background or the email I was working on at the time. It was occurring with only new files but now I cannot open older files stored on my computer that worked a week ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you open the application by itself and then go to File - Open and try to open the file from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing, nothing opens but when I click on file --> open recent --> all the files I have been trying to open and view are listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you open a file, but do not see it, does it show in the Window menu? If so try Tile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one is the window menu and what is tile?  very confused

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Mac: the menu bar is at the top of the screen. Apple, Acrobst, File, Edit ... Window.

Main Windows: the menu bar is at the top of the window, unless the title bar. File, Edit, ... Window.

The Window menu should show a list of open files. Does it show the new file you tried to open, but cannot see?

If so try Tile options, also from the Window menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tile option worked, but weird that it does not open normally without tile but it now seems to be open all files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found a way to make find your files.

Most programs (Mac and Windows) have a Window menu. It lists the open files, and gives you ways to manage their view (like tile and cascade).

I'm curious what happens if you close Acrobat and reopen it, and then open a file. Is it working normally now?

Here are two preferences you might consider activating. Open docs in as new tabs allows you to see tabs for all the open files directly under the Common Tools toolbar which should keep them screen, and (as I learned the hard way) if you don't have Show Home screen when all docs are closed enabled, when you close a file, Acrobat minimizes to the dock.

Acrobat Pro DCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines