• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open InDesign document

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open an InDesign document that was created using CS5 InDesign. The file hasn't been changed since 11/2014. I opened the document about two weeks ago to print it. Now I get an error message about missing and out of date plugins whenever I open it. This happens on other computers running the same version of InDesign so I don't think it is my CS5 installation.

Any thoughts on how to repair the document?

Thanks,

Greg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Here's an English screenshot. In short, this has never been a CS5 file. It was created in CS6.

save as.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That file was almost certainly modified in a version of InDesign later than CS5.

If you’d like to post the file somewhere and provide a link I’m sure one of us can take a look and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured that would be the reply. I've read about this issue on a number of web sites. We don't own a copy of InDesign more recent than version 7.04 in CS5. However, I'm interested in what you find out about the file. I'll post the file and send a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or try Identify: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

It cannot handle post-CC versions well enough to tell the exact version, but it won't give false positives either. If the file is newer than your current version it'll tell you so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware,

there is the script WpsIndFileIdentifier by Werner Perplies, that can handle pre and post CS6 versions.

At least it is working very good for versions CS4 and beyond. It can also write a report to a text file.

All in German:

WpsIndFileIdentifier - Skript - Adobe® InDesign® Automatisierung

To download the script one has to register and sign in to Werner's forum.

Under "Registrieren" ( register ) you have to agree to some rules. Also available in English under "Sprache". Then you can log in.

Don't know if the site can detect automatically that your language is not German…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the document to my Dropbox. Here is a link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo47st18b8152is/MBSC%20Manual.indd?dl=0.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

I ran Werner Perplies' script on it.

Here the result text:

WpsIndFileIdentifier.jsx -  © 2017 by Werner Perplies, EDV-Anwendungsberatung

https://www.weepee.de // EDIT: removed mail address

Datei: MBSC Manual.indd

Zum Öffnen dieser Datei wird eine InDesign-Version >= CS6.0.0(370) benötigt.

Sie können die Datei mit der benutzten InDesign-Version CS6.1.0(419)

öffnen.

bearbeitet mit Betriebssystem: Macintosh, 10.94 - InDesign-Version: CS6.0.0(370) - Version: 8.0.0.370

bearbeitet mit Betriebssystem: Macintosh, 10.94 - InDesign-Version: CS6.0.0(370) - Version: 8.0.0.370

bearbeitet mit Betriebssystem: Macintosh, 10.95 - InDesign-Version: CS6.0.0(370) - Version: 8.0.0.370

Let me translate this:

The document was saved with InDesign CS6 8.0.0.370 on Mac OS X 10.9.4 and OS X 10.9.5.

I ran the script with InDesign CS6.1.0(419) so the result says that I can open the document with exactly that version if I want to.

And exactly that's the case:

MBSC-Manual-opened-with-CS6-2.png

MBSC-Manual-opened-with-CS6-1.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Uwe. I saw Bob's reply first. Your research confirms Bob's conclusion: it's a CS6 file.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an English screenshot. In short, this has never been a CS5 file. It was created in CS6.

save as.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. We are no longer in procession of the Mac it was created on. All of the PCs we have are still running CS5. That's why I thought it was a CS5 document. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines