• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a 'wave/ripple' effect to a moving sheet of paper ..?

Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know what would be the best effect to add to this paper sheet (see video) to make it look a bit more lively/realistic?  (I did play around with the "Ripple" and "Wave Warp" effects, but couldn't get very convincing results.. Thnx!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Here's an example for you.  I started with a 20 frame slide on a static BG just like you have. Then added a few secondary animations

and elements to make it more interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try applying the Page Turn or CC Twister effects.  The key is subtlety with these, just a little bit of flutter on the corners can be convincing, go overboard and it just looks silly.

If you want to get more elaborate, you can look at third party 3D deformation plugins, or Cinema 4D, but I'd stick with the basics for now if you're new to After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't know if realism or "life" are the things it lacking.  Paper isn't alive & for intents and purposes it already looks like a piece of paper.  The problem is that the animation is boring.  This can be fixed using other elements and basic animation principles.

I don't think there's much you do to the paper itself.  maybe use page turn effect to give one of the corners a little curl?

Have it rotated a bit off absolutely straight

I think it could slide in a little faster.  I feel like between 15 and 20 frames is the sweet spot.

Secondary motion:  like bounce or overshoot.  Or Attach the paper to a null and scale the null up slowly starting at the papers first position keframe and finishing way past where the slide in stops so the paper contiues to scale up slowly after it slides into place.  You could add a little rotation in the same way, to the same null.

Secondary elements:  give a background.  Maybe it's being held by a hand or sitting on music stand.  Maybe put a blurred out image of somehting musical or something abstract like floaty music notes or staffs.  You could have the background slide in few frames before the paper to create some anticipation and or offset.  The background can also have secondary movement slightly offset from the papers

Basically....add interest.  Don't let the screen just go static keep some very subtle motion or movement going all the time.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example for you.  I started with a 20 frame slide on a static BG just like you have. Then added a few secondary animations

and elements to make it more interesting.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome reply Mr. GF

You are the man I am going to come to for all my future sliding-a-piece-of-a-paper-onto-screen animations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to get the same effect, but the youtube links are broken. Can you relink @P.M.B ?
I'm trying to animate the flyers into this position. Not sure what to search for.
Email4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines