Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What features will work in an Interactive PDF on ipad

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I need to create an interactive PDF of a sales tool to view on an ipad. There will be different models from older to newer that they will be viewed on. My initial research shows that I can't really do anything fancy. Just basic link to pages and hyperlinks. 

Am I correct?

Any help of articles you could share would be great!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

The developers of most PDF readers are aiming at the average user. Most users have no clue about interactive PDF and aren't expecting it.

Strangely, Adobe has chosen not to implement interactive PDF features in their mobile PDF readers.

You have to buy a PDF reader like PDF Expert which handles interactivity (for example, displaying video).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. Currently, interactive PDF on mobile is nothing short of a crapshoot.

For iPads that all have iBooks, I would recommend you use fixed layout epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BobLevine...

Can you tell me why any fancy things won't work? I just want to be able to tell the higher up people...

I don't think the client is interested in using another program for it. It's a sales tool that 200 or so stores will be using. They probably only have the bare bones on their ipads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The developers of most PDF readers are aiming at the average user. Most users have no clue about interactive PDF and aren't expecting it.

Strangely, Adobe has chosen not to implement interactive PDF features in their mobile PDF readers.

You have to buy a PDF reader like PDF Expert which handles interactivity (for example, displaying video).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. PDF Expert... Is that owned by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything cool functionality wise I can add in Acrobat after I make the PDF? I guess not. The problem is in acrobat not recognizing it on the ipad, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That and the fact that much of what people consider “cool” won’t work in PDF anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The really key problem is that 99% of people use a PDF reader that has no Adobe involvement at all. On an iPad, there is no way to change that PDF reader that's built into almost every app that shows PDFs, even if you can persuade people to download another app, they won't go to the effort of sending their files to it.

Interactivity in PDF files is essentially dead, but hasn't quite stopped moving yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Client is wondering if an interactive PDF That I create in INDD with advanced features will work on a Microsoft surface. Is that still a flash device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A surface Pro is a full blown computer.

That said, what “advanced features” are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, Thx! Mainly multi state objects, to create simple pop up boxes, and go to pages throughout the PDF. Enough that it won't work on an ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MSOs are not supported in PDF. Never have been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surface Pro, yes, because it runs normal Windows. But keyboard& trackpad probably needed (test it!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, yes we will for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Bob, correct, but the MSOs should work in a interactive PDF on an actual computer correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO! They do not work in a PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so confused. So if they don't work in a PDF, what would be the output for someone to use them in, that they would work on a desktop computer. I'm creating a sales tool for a client to view on their computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Yes, I see it says it doesn't work. So I found this video. I guess, this is different because it doesn't use MSO? Just buttons. Regardless, this is what I want to do and it works in a PDF.

Creating a popup window in a PDF - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines