• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a Master page?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to change the date on the cover of an InDesign booklet, but the Text button won't let me. I have done it before but don't remember how I did it. Can anyone help?

[The duplicate thread you created Changing text on a master page? (LOCKED — Duplicate thread) is now locked.
Please post only once.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

It sounds like the cursor is going into a second frame.

Spin open the layers panel and see how many objects are on the page. If there is a larger frame, you might lock it temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text frame locked? Is the text frame on a Master page? If so, is the Master based on another Master? Is the layer locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You need to override the master page item that you have on your document page. You can Ctrl+shift or command+shift click on a master page item to override it. Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I know if the text frame is locked? I'm just a beginner, so I don't understand many of the symbols. I tried the command+shift, but that still didn't work. I've tried clicking on layers because I used that for another frame, but that doesn't work either. In previous years it wasn't this hard to change the date.

Joanne

Keep calm and carry on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to View > Screen Mode > Normal. If the item is locked you'll see a small padlock icon on any locked objects. Simply click on the lock icon with the black arrow tool to unlock the object. Or, go to Object > Unlock all on spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, posting a small screenshot of the text frame may help people suggesting you a solution.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to change the date on the cover of an InDesign booklet, but the Text button won't let me. I have done it before but don't remember how I did it. Can anyone help?

Try this:

1. View > Screen Mode > Normal
  2. View > Extras > Show Frame Edges (If it says Hide Frame Edges they are already showing so don't change it)
  3. Look at the frame with the date: Is the border solid or dotted? (if you still can't see it go to View > Grids & Guides > Hide Guides, because the frame edges of a text frame can be masked by the guides.)
    • If solid, the frame is on that page.
      InDesign CCss_019.png
    • Look at the top left corner of the frame. Is there a padlock? If so, click it with the Selection tool (the black arrow) to unlock it.
    • Select the Type tool (the T), click and edit.

-OR-

• If dotted, the frame is on the master page.
      InDesign CCss_020.png
    • Select the Selection tool (the black arrow), and hold Control+ Shift (Mac: Command+Shift) and click the frame to copy forward to this page.
    • Look at the top left corner of the frame. Is there a padlock? If so, click it with the Selection tool (the black arrow) to unlock it.
    • Select the Type tool (the T), click and edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to follow your directions, there is no lock on the text frame, and when I select the Type tool, it goes to the far left of the frame and won’t move.

Joanne

Keep Calm and Carry On

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the cursor is going into a second frame.

Spin open the layers panel and see how many objects are on the page. If there is a larger frame, you might lock it temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spinning open the layers panel proved to be the answer, but only on a previous version. For some reason, this year's page would not pick up or show the entire larger frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither one of these suggestions provides anything that responds. I do get a text cursor, but it appears all the way to the left of the box and can't be moved. There are no lock symbols. Any other suggestion? The only thing different from the last time I did this is the upgrade to 2017 version. Do you think they changed something that prevents my unlocking the text boxes on the Master pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines