Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Grep Style for Tables

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am working on a book which contains lots of table. I am looking for a Grep String for applying a specific stylesheet for tables using GREP Style please help me into this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with GREP styles for tables? GREP styles are part of paragraph styles. You can use Paragraph Styles as part of Cell Styles and those as part of table styles. All is available on your hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREP uses a special text string for describing a search pattern, and GREP styles allow you to locate a pattern and change it. For example, you might need to locate each occurrence of 4 digits appearing at the beginning of a paragraph and then format them as red.

This won't help you format a table, although it could be used to format the text within the tables. What we think you might be thinking about (or perhaps should be thinking about) are nested styles. In InDesign you can set up a table style. Within the table style, you can nest cell styles to control the heading rows, the body rows, the left and the right columns. Within the cell styles you can next paragraph styles to format the paragraphs within the cells. Within paragraph styles you can nest character styles and/or GREP styles to format text within the paragraphs. Set up correctly, one can format an entire table with a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like "Inception," but with styles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give an example of exactly what you are trying to accomplish? Then we can help you discover the best solution for your problem. A screen shot is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean to say as we do find and replace for Paragraph and Character styles. can we apply same for Tables too.

2.PNG1.PNG

The Part highlighted in Red is whats coming now, and what I am looking for is the part highlighted in Blues which i have created using table and cell style and want to same style all across the book using find and replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to find tables using unicode <0016> but, I cant replace it, cause its deleting my table.

And i am unable to find it through Grep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you correctly define a "table style" you will call "X", using corresponding "cell styles", just do it with this one-line JS code, so just 1 click!

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().appliedTableStyle = "X";  // (^/)

[I've simplified!]

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines