• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error on opening project - possible Codec problem w/ MOV file?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a 1-day old user of Premiere Elements 15 on Windows 10.  Everything was going like clockwork until I closed the project, and tried to re-open.  Then I got a message saying the file format was not supported or I might not have the right Codec installed.

All the imported clips are from an iPhone and thus in .MOV format.  After I close the error, Premiere ends up opening the project anyway, and I've successfully exported it to an .MP4 file.  Nothing seems to be wrong on the playback in Premiere or the exported file.  However, when I exit the project by closing Premiere, I get an error that "Premiere has stopped working".  Unfortunately, Adobe support isn't open on the weekend.  It all seems a bit shaky to me, and this is a very important project that is due tomorrow for work so I'm debating if I should just hold my breath and continue or stop and try to fix this (which is very risky due to my lack of knowledge on the innards of Codecs, etc).

When I look at info on Apple Codecs, it talks about Codecs being installed by Quicktime.  However, when I go to download Quicktime, the Apple site says Quicktime for Windows is no longer supported as the functionality is built into later browser version.

My question is - if it's working ok now, can I continue... or will the problem get worse the more clips I add and layer into different tracks.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Please remember, I am totally new to this video editing world.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert iPhone video to constant frame rate with  HandBrake before importing into Premiere Elements:

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  However, it's a very painful correction.  I already have the clips subdivided in ~30 clips and 14hrs worth of work rearranging subclips, editing to precise lengths, and layering other video tracks in on the audio.  There is no way to do all that work again and the remaining work before tomorrow.  Is there anything that can be done with the clips that are already imported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can try downloading Quicktime for Windows and see if that installs the necessary components.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

Quicktime for Windows was discontinued after Apple refused to patch a security flaw. However, the security issue is only in Quicktime Player -- so, after you install Quicktime, browse into the Program Files and rename QuicktimePlayer.exe as QuicktimePlayer.old. That way you get  all of the components and codecs without getting the Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines