• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quelle carte graphique pour Lightroom CC / LR 6 ? / Which graphics for LR 6?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous,

Je souhaite changer de portable, mon PC commençant à donner des signes de fatigue sous LR (notamment). J'ai repéré plusieurs PC ultraportables, mais j'ai peur que la config ne soit pas suffisante pour faire tourner LR (notamment pour la fusion de photos - panoramas / HDR) : 8Go de Ram, processus Intel i7, carte Intel HD Graphics 620 (sans mémoire dédiée).

Est-ce que certains d'entre vous ont déjà pu tester LR sur un ultraportable avec ce genre de caractéristiques techniques ? Est-ce que ça tourne correctement ?

Merci d'avance pour votre aide !

Margaux

---

Hi,

I am willing to get a new PC (the old one being too slow when I run LR). I would like a thin one, but I prefer to make sure that LR would run on it (especially for panorama / HDR). The config is : Processor Intel i7, RAM 8Go, Intel HD Graphics 620 (no VRAM).

Have any of you ever tested LR on a PC with these specs ? Is it working ?

Thanks for your help !

Margaux

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Hi !

As promised, here is some feedback : I got my PC with the config : Processor Intel i7, RAM 8Go, Intel HD Graphics 620 (no VRAM).

Aaaaand it runs ! Quite well, actually. I can work some panoramas (quite fast), and the basic functions run easily. The only thing is that it gets warm quickly (but this is a frequent problem with that kind of PC).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics card you choose will depend on the size (in pixels) of your monitor, and probably a few other things. How big (in pixels) is your monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dj_paige,

Thanks for your answer !

The display is FHD (1920x1080) on 13.3".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need any particular graphics card, as they are most useful when you have a larger (4K and above) screen. So whatever graphics card comes with your computer will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But beyond the display only, don't I need any dedicated memory to run all the calculation for a panorama (for example) ? My current PC harldy manage to run it all, so I imagine there are some requirements to use it fully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panorama needs sufficient regular RAM memory, not memory on the Graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding:

you have 8GB of memory which is enough for most LR tasks, but if you do some really large panoramas, it might not be sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Aaaand I am lost again.

If I trust the website (Adobe Photoshop Lightroom system requirements ), this won't be enough to run LR. However, I am pretty sure that for most tasks, it should be okay...

I do quite large panoramas (5-6 photos to be merged in one), but my 4 years old laptop is able to go through this (if I wait long enough).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you say this? What about your computer does not meet the system requirements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laptop I want doesnt' meet this requirement : "1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors."

-> It does have a good processor (Intel i7), 8Go of RAM, a good display, ...

... But no dedicated VRAM, "only" a Intel HD Graphics 615 (not 620 as I wrote before), which gets its memory from the RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just poor wording by Adobe. If you are going to have a video card to perform GPU acceleration, you need 1GB of VRAM. You are not going to perform GPU acceleration.

Now, having said all this, your computer should indeed run Lightroom. However, if you are planning to do panoramas, you may find it a little slow (depending on a lot of other things). But there's really no way to know until you actually try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what "GPU acceleration" means (even when I google it !), but... At least I understand that it should work for basic tasks, if not for large panoramas.

Well, thank you very much for your time and patience !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would use GPU acceleration to speed up Lightroom's develop module if you had a 4K or larger monitor, which you do not have. So you will not need to use GPU acceleration, and so you don't need the 1MB VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, does "1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors." mean that I need 1GB of VRAM (dedicated) for normal uses, and 2GB (dedicated) for 4K-monitors ?

Or does that mean that this 1GB of VRAM is not necessarily dedicated (meaning that my PC specs are sufficient), but 2GB dedicated are mandatory for 4K etc ?

What I don't understand for sure is if the 1GB of VRAM must be 'dedicated' or not...

(sorry for this very long thread...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe has so badly mis-stated this that it's not really clear from their words what they do mean. So you can stop trying to figure it out, because no one can.

You don't need 1GB of VRAM to run Lightroom, unless you plan to use the GPU acceleration, which you don't plan to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post is not clear enough indeed!

Well, I'll probably try and install LR on this laptop. If so, I'll post some feedback!

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi !

As promised, here is some feedback : I got my PC with the config : Processor Intel i7, RAM 8Go, Intel HD Graphics 620 (no VRAM).

Aaaaand it runs ! Quite well, actually. I can work some panoramas (quite fast), and the basic functions run easily. The only thing is that it gets warm quickly (but this is a frequent problem with that kind of PC).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines