Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help with a new install of TechComm Suite 2017 please, in particular RoboHelp 2017. My full install does not recognize Word 2013 or a more recent new install of Word 2016 (Full Office 365 install). I am operating the latest update of Win10 with the 32 bit install of Word (both versions). I have checked file associations and everything I can see in the forums for similar problems with RoboHelp 2015.

I cannot export to printed documents because RoboHelp 2017 cannot find Word on my computer. I have also found that I cannot link a Word file and sync the content, but I can import content from a Word document. I have tried this with and without Word running.

After 2 hours with Adobe Support they tell me that it must be my system and that I should try to reproduce the issue on another computer. Am I meant to be doing the tech support for them? They could only export to Word if they use the hidden Administrator account on my system. My user account has full Admin rights. They set up a new Adobe Admin account and they have the same problem - does not recognize Word. They also moved my install to the C drive (I had it on a larger alternative internal drive to free up the SSD for the operating system) but that made no difference. Then they told me to see if I could reproduce the issue on another computer. They also said that they would do no further troubleshooting until they heard back from me. Using the hidden Admin account seemed a reasonable fix to them! I don't see this as a solution.

One of my reasons for purchasing RoboHelp was to evaluate for a client with the intent of recommending (or not) for them to purchase and use it for converting their Word documents. The need to use the hidden Admin account is not acceptable for me and I know that any Admin right for a large company is not a solution. They only allow Admin rights to IT staff.

If I can't get this working, and pretty soon, then I will need to look at other alternatives to RoboHelp, again. Not the tech support I expected, or have previously experienced, from Adobe.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved your post as RoboHelp for Word is a separate program that shipped with older versions of RoboHelp.

Please contact me via my Contact Page. I will send you a link that I think will fix this problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent Dave a link and will update the thread in due course.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks for the file but unfortunately it does not work for RoboHelp2017.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer! I will work with Dave offline on this and post back where we get to.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emailed Dave with some suggestions but I haven't heard back so I cannot post the solution. Sorry.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response but I have been working to deliver content to a client - without using RoboHelp.

I did get the RoboHelp issue resolved but I am not happy with the lack of any support from Adobe on this issue. Their tech support left the issue for me to try on another computer two months ago. No follow-up and no support or checks. They thought the problem was with user rights and wanted all users to be set as admins (which didn't work), something that many companies do not allow.

In the end I totally uninstalled TechComm Suite 2017 from my computer and cleaned up with Revo. I then reinstalled it to the default install location (C drive). This is the only option that worked. Problem is that my C drive is an SSD and I don't want the operating system clogged with program files. I should be able to install to any internal drive that I select. If not, then warn me on install and as conditions of the product. During install I was able to select any internal drive and there were no warnings that the product would not work with other programs.

I can now import from and export to Word 2016 (Office 365). I am not convinced that I should recommend RoboHelp to my client though, especially with this type of product support.

Thanks for you support on this Peter.

Regards,

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two machines with SSDs and I use a different logic. I put programs on the C Drive as that is going to be the fastest so my programs work quicker. I keep all my data on conventional hard disks or even USB drives so that I can access it on more than one PC. That works very well.

Turning to your scenario, I agree that if it is critical that TCS is installed on the C Drive, then either it should force that or at least issue a warning that it is critical. Please follow this link to create a bug report.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug in this thread and others can vote for it.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I would disagree with you on not recommending the product. I have used it for some twenty years and I have looked at the competition. There is one major competitor and if you look at their forums, they have their issues the same as RoboHelp. Also normally Support do get to the bottom of issues like this. I have known them spend a couple of hours on fixing a really knotty licensing issue. On this one I think they should have found the cause as it is a rare but not unknown problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else encounters this problem, please vote on the bug below.

Tracker 1144

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

I am having the same issue. The only difference is that I am using Windows 7. My organisation does not allow me to have Admin Rights on any systems.

However, after contacting Adobe Support, i had taken admin rights on my system, but I am still facing the same error while generating Word or PDF outputs. Adobe support has not been able to resolve my issue and have asked to delete my profile and create a new one. Which is absurd. It use to work flawlessly before, but why now do I have this issue.

Creating a new profile will take me a lot of time to install/ uninstall applications, rights, access and a whole lot of things.

I am currently depended on my team's machine to generate (Word or PDF) outputs after checking in the content in SVN.

Let me know if you can help me out on this issue.

Thanks

Shabbir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, both MS Office 2016 and Adobe TCS Suite are installed on C: Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I believe that Peter is unavailable at the moment.

But having read this reply, building a new profile should be pretty quick. You don't need to reinstall all your applications. I think the profile can exist alongside the existing profile. And you only need RoboHelp in that new profile. Just to see if it's the profile at fault.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to delete the old profile, you can keep both until you have proved/disproved that is the issue. It's not correct to say it's absurd because it was working. If a profile gets corrupted, then there is a point at which it was working and a point at which it's not  working. You only need to reinstall RoboHelp and Word to test, then you know if that is the issue. Install Word first and run it before installing RoboHelp.

Bear in mind they must be installed and run once with Admin rights before IT remove them. You will then see if it works with those rights and not without.

Are you generating to the same drive as the project and is that local?

Exactly what happens when you try to generate a document?

I might be a bit slow responding.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already uninstalled/installed Microsoft Office and RoboHelp with Admin Rights couple of times (installed MS Office first and then Robohelp), but no fix. I keep getting the error message "Cannot find Microsoft Word installed on your system."

Yes I am generating to the same drive as the project which is local (C:).

Please note that initially I had MS Office 2013 installed along with MS Office 2016 and then uninstalled MS Office 2013. That's when the problem started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't said whether those attempts were in your old profile. The whole issue could be related to the dual install or the uninstall. Testing a new profile will answer that. If it is in the old profile, it doesn't necessarily mean it is not repairable but first we need to know where the problem is. It is a step in finding the best solution.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was in the old profile. I will test this by creating a New Profile and also check with IT Support if the the old profile can be repaired to resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you ask IT for a new profile, make sure they understand that you want the old profile kept. If the issue does prove to be the old profile, then there are repair tools available from Microsoft.They may not fix the issue but that's the best chance of fixing things rather than having to reinstall all you programs in the new profile.

It may also be worth speaking to Adobe Support as they will know the key that RoboHelp is looking for.

Please post back to tell us what ultimately worked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, try running Robohelp with administrator permissions, that solved me the problem

Find the RoboHTML.exe file and run it as administrator

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave's problem was related to where Word was installed rather than permissions. As it is over six months since he posted, hopefully he has found a solution by now.

For anyone else following this thread, it was posted in another thread that running a Microsoft Office Repair fixed the problem.

Nonetheless, thanks for posting what worked for you. As you have seen, this thread was posted to by two others and we don't know what worked for them.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp