• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting .webp back to usable format for InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to convert .webp images back to .jpg or something usable in Creative Suite?

Advertisers often send us images from their websites (no matter how many times we explain best practices to them). Today, we got .webp images. I tried a few Chrome Extensions for Saving image as type but just got error messages. Photoshop plug-ins look like they only save to .webp.

Thanks

Dawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

If you download a photoshop plugin for WebP like this one

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

then you should be able to use File>Scripts>Image Processor to batch the WebP files to a file format like Jpeg.

If you want to have a smaller file like Save for Web produces then you could download the Image Processor Pro, which

has a Save for Web setting.

ps-scripts - Browse /Image Processor Pro/v3_2 betas at SourceForge.net

webpjpeg.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not without doing what you've tried. Think there are some online converters too but if you have a lot of images...

I just love "standards" like this format. They make everything so...standardy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you download a photoshop plugin for WebP like this one

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

then you should be able to use File>Scripts>Image Processor to batch the WebP files to a file format like Jpeg.

If you want to have a smaller file like Save for Web produces then you could download the Image Processor Pro, which

has a Save for Web setting.

ps-scripts - Browse /Image Processor Pro/v3_2 betas at SourceForge.net

webpjpeg.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is quite ridiculous that Photoshop still does not support WebP completely. WebP is an excellent file format (in particular for mobile app development, for example), and not supporting opening WebP images directly in this day and age is, quite frankly, just plain silly.

Anyway, if you are on Windows, download Irfanview to open WebP images, and convert to a Photoshop usable file format. Irfanview includes a very fast batch processor (which is by far quicker to process images than Photoshop).

If you are on Mac, XnConvert is an alternative.

Another option is PhotoLine, which opens and saves WebP on both Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.webp is a [foul language removed by moderator] format, literaly NOTHING supports it 

i don't understand the point of it at all it's not compatible with  anything

nobody should ever use it they should just get rid of it altogether because  literly no programs i use can open it ,it is completly worthless

we have enough image formats alreayd we do not need anothe rone especially one that is not compatible with anyhting and  that causes nothign but headaches and problems i see no benefit at to this unsueable garbage format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have been doing is opening the webp image in preview, then you can export as a jpeg, png, tiff, among other formats. 

Tedious process but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend GOOGLE is the author of webp format as you might know, so best placve to look for help is in google
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines