Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps i do before my InDesign crashes:

Click on item # in text box in InDesign

Go to InCatalog>Show Data Descriptor...

Select .txt file

Go to InCatalog>Show Data Linker

Enter item# in first field box then press enter.

Go to InCatalog>Update Document

then my InDesign crashes. I've tried deactivating my inDesign account, uninstalling it and re-installing it with no luck. I've tried signing into a different account and i also have no luck. I've tried a different computer altogether and i have no issues so the issues are somewhere on my computer. Any idea how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sjjstar,

In order to help you on this we need some more details like

• Operating System(Exact version of windows or MAC)
  • Is this happening on one particular file ? If you have not checked yet check it with new file and new test CSV file and share results.
  • Also if the files(InDesign or CSV) are saved on some network location or a shared folder, please copy them to desktop and then try it once again and share results.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

- Operating System (Mac OS X EI Capitan, Version 10.11.6)

- This is happening in any files. InDesign files are saved on the server and .csv files are saved in dropbox.

- I've created a new document in InDesign and tried to update a new .csv file that was saved on my desktop and InDesign still crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi sjjstar,

Thanks for your reply. As per your reply, InDesign is crashing with new document as well. In that case please try following steps and share results.

1. Reset preferences to defaults.

• Close InDesign and other Adobe applications and open folder locations
  • Users/[user]/Library/Caches
  • Users/[user]/Library/Preferences
  • Copy and paste "Adobe InDesign" folders on desktop as backup and then delete folders from their original location.
  • Launch InDesign from creative cloud

2. Boot system to safe boot with same account and check how it works, if it works fine close all third party running services. For details click here Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

3. Log in to root account  For details check here How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support

Check how application works there, If it works fine

• Go to Location ~/Library/Preferences
  • right click preferences folder and click get info
  • Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
  • Change permissions to read and write.
  • Click the Action pop-up menu , then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”
  • If you do not see your account there click on plus symbol on bottom left corner and add account and follow same steps

Follow same steps for

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application support

/Library/Preferences

/Library/Caches

/Library/Application support

Note: If you are on office system ,these (/Library/Application support and/Library/Preferences) folders may or may not allow you to add user , that is completely fine.

Restart System and login to original user account. Please check the performance and share results.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this may be an InCatalog question, so you should probably ask the support folks at EmSoftware.com

That said, I have had weird problems with CSV files in the past (using Data Merge) and wrote up one solution here: https://indesignsecrets.com/zap-gremlins-in-problem-data-merge-files.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines