• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot paste a grouped object inline

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CS3 document that is being updated in CC15. There are graphics in there with call out text and captions which I'm grouping together, but then I cannot paste the object inline. I can copy/paste it anywhere else, but not inline. Any idea why?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

I’m not sure which version of InDesign was the first to allow you to paste a grouped object inline but it may be that your original file was from before that time and it may not be updating parts of it when bringing it into CC 2015. However, there is a way that might work nonetheless assuming you have updated the file to CC 2015. Select the grouped object and you will see a blue square in the upper right of the selection. With the shift key pressed drag the blue box into the spot within text you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure which version of InDesign was the first to allow you to paste a grouped object inline but it may be that your original file was from before that time and it may not be updating parts of it when bringing it into CC 2015. However, there is a way that might work nonetheless assuming you have updated the file to CC 2015. Select the grouped object and you will see a blue square in the upper right of the selection. With the shift key pressed drag the blue box into the spot within text you want the object inlined and it should become part of the text. Had you not pressed the shift the object would become anchored where it stood but would move along with the text. Hopefully this newer method of inlining will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t recall a time when pasting a group inline was not possible. That’s not to say there wasn’t but I’ve been using ID since 1999 so I’d need my memory refreshed on this.

What I suspect is happening is that the OP is cutting a group of objects but not actually grouping them first so that there are multiple objects on the clipboard instead of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Bill, shift clicking on the anchor box and dragging into the text frame worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s possible that I’m remembering the grouping thing from the era of that other page layout program but I do have a pretty distinct memory of working for the first time on an InDesign upgrade and finding it possible to inline a group and and thinking that it’s about time. At any rate the point of my post was to provide an alternate way to inline a grouped object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill, shift clicking on the anchor box and dragging into the text frame worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines