Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant move pages from one document to another

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

i'm trying to move a page from one document to another. When i go to Move pages it wont let me select the other document in the drop down option. I have allowed for pages to shuffle. Anybody had this problem? I'm working on a Mac if that makes any difference?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

I assume that you are saying that the option to move pages to a new document is there in the Move Pages command from the Pages Panel drop-down and the other document is showing but is either greyed out or the process won’t complete. Moving pages in this manner is usually a simple matter, even with different page sizes, so it may be that deleting your preference file might be necessary.

To do so:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Opti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just the one document that you can't move pages to?

Have you tried creating opening a different document to move pages to as a test, or creating a new blank document and seeing if you can move pages to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yeah I have tried with other documents. It gives me the option to select another document but when I go to click it, it just disappears. Do you have any idea why this could be?

Thanks

Sian Davies

~Personal details removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you are saying that the option to move pages to a new document is there in the Move Pages command from the Pages Panel drop-down and the other document is showing but is either greyed out or the process won’t complete. Moving pages in this manner is usually a simple matter, even with different page sizes, so it may be that deleting your preference file might be necessary.

To do so:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

Thanks! All sorted now

Sian Davies

~Personal details removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I'm having this same issue. I have followed your instructions to the letter, up until the instruction to find and delete the two files you mentioned (“Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”). I have looked (and also used the Search tool) but can't find those files in my Library or anywhere on my Mac. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm working on a Macbook Air and using InDesign CC (2017)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. There was a typo in that original set of instructions. Somehow the location got deleted. The files that you are looking for are in the folder called Preferences which is in the Library. If you have already found your way into the Library then just go into the Preferences folder and delete the files.

Just as a matter of conscience here are the corrected instructions:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

Sorry about the confusion. I only realized that part of the instructions had gotten deleted after posting them for this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh yes, I found the Preferences folder, thanks!

Before I saw your updated instructions, I also tried restarting my computer, which seemed to solve the problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sian,

Thanks for the confirmation, glad that the issue is resolved. Please refrain from sharing personal information on social forum like this. Do check if you are replying from you cell phone.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines