Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why applying italic Character Style makes some letters disappear? Raleway font

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear colleagues, help please.

I have never came across with this before, but... when applying italic Character Style to a passage it makes some letters in different words disappear?

For example there is a sentence: 'Wе аll knоw hоw good it fееlѕ...' and it is changed to 'W ll knw hw good it flѕ'

My font is Raleway Regular changing to Italic.

Moreover BoldItalic / Light Italic / Thin Italic does the same.

Is there a way to fix this using Raleway font?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Very well spotted! That is the exact cause, and you should get the green check mark for it.

There are no less than 3 consecutive errors in play here. (All of them human errors, but by different persons.)

First: you should not mix Cyrillic and Latin characters. They may look the same (in some fonts), but they are not.

Second: Raleway contains Cyrillic characters in its Regular font but not in the Italics. (Also, they are there in Bold but, again, not in Bold Italic.) It may be a conscious design cho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess that the font is corrupt, and would need to be replaced with a clean copy or a different font

Try it in another document and see if you can replicate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for comments.

If I type in the missing letters when they are in italic they show up fine. And when I switch back to a non-itlic version they are fine too.

At first I tried to create new document - there is no such problem fith italic Raleway.

Then I deleted my previous Raleway font from Indesign Font folder and synced it from Adobe Typekit. But it doesn't have italic(((

Still trying figure out the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the original source of the text, and how did you get it into InDesign? It looks it the vowels are some strange alternate characters, and those characters don't exist in Raleway Italic (a Google Font, so you can always freely download the latest version). Even on the forum they look odd. See screenshot below. They have a slightly higher x-height, and look like a grotesk font rather the humanist of the rest of the text.

So it's a question of how best to replace all those characters with the 'normal' ones. I've tried converting to Plain Text in TextEdit, but that didn't work.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 08.44.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On further inspection in InDesign's Glyph Palette, they're Cyrillic characters (so apologies for calling a non-Latin script 'strange'!). A few find & replace actions should fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well spotted! That is the exact cause, and you should get the green check mark for it.

There are no less than 3 consecutive errors in play here. (All of them human errors, but by different persons.)

First: you should not mix Cyrillic and Latin characters. They may look the same (in some fonts), but they are not.

Second: Raleway contains Cyrillic characters in its Regular font but not in the Italics. (Also, they are there in Bold but, again, not in Bold Italic.) It may be a conscious design choice – Cyrillic Italic is much harder to draw than its roman forms – and it is "known" since at least the first released version that contained Italics:

.... May 28, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks for the Cyrillic! And I'm waiting for Cyrrilic in Italics .

(Raleway Family v3.0 Released - Cyrillic. Impallari Type )

but this needs some better communication so you don't get surprises such as this one.

Third: unsupported characters are usually indicated in a font by a clear, distinct glyph. In some fonts it's a bland open rectangle, where other font designers get creative and do stuff like this

Not so in Raleway; it uses an extremely thin space character for this. If you zoom in very far on your InDesign text, you can see the thin pink line where the missing character is supposed to be.

So, what can you do to fix this "using Raleway font"?

1. Replace all of the unexpected Cyrillic characters in your document with the correct Latin forms.

2. Contact the web site where you downloaded the font from and ask them to inform about the missing characters in some styles.

3. Contact the font designer and ask for a more distinct "missing glyph" glyph.

4. Download the latest version – 4.0020, as of Nov. 2016 – directly from the source: GitHub - impallari/Raleway: Raleway Fonts  and use this instead. Beware that this is indicated to be a "work in progress"; but it does contain a proper Italics for its Cyrillic, and a much better Missing Glyph glyph.

(There is no pressing reason to do any of #2..#4 if you do #1, and that's something you absolutely must do. I strongly advice you to not install the corrected fonts and consider it "fixed" by doing that. Your text will still be wrong.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or...

5. If your document uses both Cyrillic and Latin text, switch to a font that better supports both.

Browse fonts | Typekit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear, you all are my lifesavers.

I replaced all Cyrillic characters with the correct Latin forms using Find/Change and highlighting it with colour to check after. And it works!!!

The problem was even sooner with non-italic Raleway text: it was displayed correctly, but Dynamic Spelling recognized it as wrong.

I cannot understand the one thing: how on earth do Cyrillic characters appear in the text as it all Latin. I copied it from PDF.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just answered your own question.

Copy/paste from PDF is not exactly reliable. You’re better off saving the PDF as Word from Acrobat and placing the text that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried this...

Unfortunately, even placing text as Word document and Removing Styles and Formatting didn't help.

It was the problem with source document

Thank you ALL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a ligature or language issue if it’s not a corrupt font as Steve points out.

What are the opentype options in the character style and parent paragraph style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the Italic versions are missing "e"s Maybe the "Open Font Licence" version is crippled and there is a paid version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually - on further experimentation - if you type in the missing letters when they are in italic they show up fine. And they stay when you switch back to a non-itlic version. Must be some sort of corruption in the look-up table

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use raleway and i have nto experienced these issues. are you using a font manager? if not you need to. a font manager will not let you put anything bad into it. don't use the font manager your computer came with for design. You can't diagnose or repair font issues without something like suitcase fusion which comes with font doctor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem for me with Raleway Italic (or Bold Italic, Light Italic…)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi oksananka,

It does seems to be a bad font issue. Please check the suggestion made above and share if you further need assistance.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought was, "Why are they not using the Typekit version of Raleway?" I just realized that it contains no italics at all. This was some great sleuthing on everyone's part!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines