• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot add color to b&w pic

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On some black and white pictures, I cannot do anything to make parts of them color.  When I try "curves", for instance, the only option I get is "grey".  Even when I dip my brush into another color picture, when I get back to the original it still only makes various shades of grey.  I imagine that this can be easily fixed by adjusting a certain setting, but I have not found what that is.

~ Greg

[Moved out of the Color management forum and into a Photoshop forum by a moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Hi Greg

if your images are greyscale then you'll need to convert to a colour mode like RGB to allow colour to be added.

Have a look under image / mode - is the "mode" greyscale? If so change it there to RGB.

Is that working?

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg

if your images are greyscale then you'll need to convert to a colour mode like RGB to allow colour to be added.

Have a look under image / mode - is the "mode" greyscale? If so change it there to RGB.

Is that working?

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with NB....

Maybe your mode is set to Greyscale.  Depending if it is print or for media then it should be set to RGB or CMYK.

That will probably solve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never convert to CMYK in Photoshop always work in RGB color mode (for full color images) and let the appropriate software do the conversions to CMYK (if you are printing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Yes it was that simple, setting Image/Mode to RGB Color fixed the problem at once.  Awesome forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neil is the colour (color) management man!

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines