Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC2017 crashing in Windows 10

Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a publication that is around 75 pages which needs to be updated.

The guy here before me used a lot of images not available any more so there are some broken links, missing fonts and a missing plugin.

When I scroll down the length of the document, InDesign crashes. A LOT. It's almost impossible to make a single change before it crashes out.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

It sounds like a possibly corrupted document. Try saving it as an IDML file if possible:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to .IDML or .INX

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a possibly corrupted document. Try saving it as an IDML file if possible:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to .IDML or .INX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing this, my file size dropped from 41,236kb to 8555kb. What exactly did it do?

I resaved as an InDesign document again and it's now 33768kb, what info is gone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a file as IDML, InDesign writes out the instructions for building the file using XML. When you open the IDML file, a new clean file should be created. It eliminates a lot of "crud" from the old file that accumulates when a file has been opened and closed many, many times. It would also create new previews of the remaining images in the file, discarding those that are not linked.

Does the file crash now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So far so good.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines