• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using paint tool on transparent layer/rotoscoping

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a transparent layer so I can add painted effects and images over existing footage - but then remove the original footage and render.  I'm a Photoshop and Illustrator expert but new at After Effects. It seems like a simple thing but not found the answers. Rotoscope tool is too rigid. A simple layer akin to a new layer in Photoshop would be ideal. I want to paint and add new elements so I need the footage for reference - but then need to hide it and render with a transparent background. Thanks very much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right technique depends on the footage. Here's a simple rotoscope short tutorial that may point you in the right direction.

You may need to learn about tracking, how to use Mocha, how to create a procedural matte, use Rotobrush... it all depends on the footage. Without seeing the footage or at least a screenshot of a frame from the footage it is pretty hard to point you to the right tools and workflow.

The UI and the tools in AE are a lot more complex than Photoshop. If you are new I'd start here Basic AE and learn some of the basics first. I've only seen a couple of people in my 20+ years using AE that successfully jumped in to AE without training and accomplished anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - unfortunately it's not straight up rotoscoping - I need to hand draw over the footage - so the rotobrush and mocha isn't helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to paint and add new elements so I need the footage for reference

if you want to paint with a regular brush or soft brush, you have the paint tool in Ae that also has a write-on feature. what kind of elements? maybe you can show us a reference of sketch art of want you are set to accomplish.

if you want to straight up paint over a video like the work of RUFFMERCY on Vimeo, then you can do what he does - import the video to photoshop and paint on a blank video layer using onion skin and other cool feature that photoshop has for rotosoping on video (and After effects does not)

there's also this plugin: Paint & Stick 2 - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Ruffmercy videos are great - what I'm doing is much simpler. I'll look into it. I saw Paint and Stick in a tutorial but didn't realize it was a plug-in. I'll check that out as well. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. come back if you have more questions or tell us what worked for you. maybe show us too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear mr Tzoref,

I have come to need exactly what mr scott b wanted, i believe that the following is the fastest solution, it works well for me so far.

create solid green layer (opposite the colour of the brush you will use)

use paintbrush as usual (color red)

add effect color key and key out the green, set up tolerance and parameters of the effect

what you get is a layer that contains the brush and leaves the unbrushed parts transparent.

Thanks for helping us noobs. Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was a perfecg understanding of the question, and exactly the answer i needed, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I was trying to do something similar to this comment. This is probably too little too late but under the LAYER >> NEW menu ther is the ability to create a new phot shop layer which will open photoshop with a transparent composition that is already the aspect ratio of your current timeline. Save it and it will create the layer in AE and you can double click it and paint on it in the composition window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines