• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged Project Problem

Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I need some help with merged projects and hoped I would find it here. Here is my problem, I have a large project (60MB compiled) using RoboHelp HTML 7.02.001. The company I work for has decided to have me split up the project into several smaller sections (approx. 25 in total).

I only just began splitting them up when my supervisor contacted me and said that the merged project MUST reside in the original computer folder, while the compiled sections should be in a new folder named 'Help' or 'Help Files'.

I told him that I would check into it see if that could even be done. So, is there any way to point your project to use merged projects from another directory than the one that it is in?

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008
Hi, Rick, Andrew,

I was just typing my follow-up to Andrew's question when I saw Rick's reply!

Yes, the merge should work provided that the slave .chm files are in the "help search path". To meet this requirement, they must either be stored in an appropriate folder -- the same folder as the one containing the master .chm file, or the Windows folder, or the Windows\Help folder -- or they must be registered under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\H...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew.

Is your Supervisor referring to the source files or the output files? Also can you tell us what your output is (CHm, Webhelp)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, he is refering to the output files. The output file type is chm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew

I'm thinking you should be able to accomplish this by registering the files with Windows. While RoboHelp would facilitate this on your PC by using the HTML Help Registration application, it is something that you would need to alert the person responsible for your product installation about, so that they might factor in the needed changes.

Basically registering the .CHM files with Windows provides a means where Windows knows where .CHM files should be found. And as long as the .CHM can be found, I'm thinking the merge should work

If I've been less than helpful with this I apologize. Hopefully Pete Lees will see this post and either confirm what I've offered or fill in whatever I missed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick, Andrew,

I was just typing my follow-up to Andrew's question when I saw Rick's reply!

Yes, the merge should work provided that the slave .chm files are in the "help search path". To meet this requirement, they must either be stored in an appropriate folder -- the same folder as the one containing the master .chm file, or the Windows folder, or the Windows\Help folder -- or they must be registered under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

Your developers can easily register the files as part of the software installation process.

There's a little more information here:

http://www.workwrite.com/helpthink/deploy_chandler.htm

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8tr,

Thanks, I will have to try this out. I appreciate the response.

Pete,

Great, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ok,

Thank you oh so much Rick and Pete. This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I found out that our Install department (the guys who create our installer) have had to do this before and said it was no trouble for them.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp