• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Have .vob video files in 720:480 ratio format that i need help burning onto a Blu-Ray disc

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can help me here. Im a total rookie so make an answer dummy proof in easy lingo terms    Am using Premier Elements 15 with a Windows 7 PC (all specs make it useable). I have numerous ".vob" type video files that I want to burn onto a Blu-Ray "50GB", but that's really a 46.6GB available disc. I've read on a few sites its possible to fit about 20hrs of SD content on a 50GB disc but cant find anyone talking about how to do it. My files total about 18 hours, are 46.86GB worth of content, and all are recorded in 720:480 with a data rate of 6000kbps, total bitrate of 6192kbps, frame rate of 29fps, and have a .vob filename extension. Their audio is bitrate 192kbps, 2 stereo channels, with 48kHz sample rate. Each file ranges from 200MB to 4GB in size so all that, plus needing to import some photos to create menu screens, and im wondering if I need to compress a couple of them to fit my 46.86GB onto the 46.6GB disc?? Do the files need to be changed to a different type to achieve this?? I'm REALLY hoping to somehow fit ALL these videos on a single disc while maintaining the same quality they're in now. I viewed the files through my computer while using my 55" widescreen TV as a monitor and they looked/sounded great!!! Im assuming, but not sure, the black side fill-ins have already been added to them so the 4:3 video doesn't get stretched and cropped to fit on a 16:9 screen so no video editing needs to be done (preserve the videos 4:3 aspect ratio btw). I want my end result to be able to play the Blu-ray disc of files on my PS3, XBOX, etc. Someone help!!!! I'll buy you an ice cream

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're trying to create a DVD -- except that you want to create this DVD on a BluRay disc so that you can squeeze ten times as much video on it. And, unfortunately, that's not really possible to do. And, if you could do it, you wouldn't be able to play it in a DVD player. And I'm not sure you could play it in a BluRay player or game system player either.

A DVD is a DVD. 4.7 gig. (Or 8.4 if you're using a dual layer disc.) You can't create a 46 gig DVD. Certainly not with Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding Steve but I find everything but your first sentence to be false. Below is a link to a thread on this site from 2010. It tells of a guy who put 9 hours (23gigs) of 720:480 content on to a 25GB blu-ray disc. Im just trying to double that on a 50GB blur-ray. The thing is, the people discussing were talking about nearly 7 year old software. Is there anyone else who may not a solution to my question???? Maybe someone can apply whats said below and put it into Premier Elements terms? Or is there another software known of that can do what im trying to achieve???

Making blu-ray discs with standard dvd content in Encore CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still contend that this is absolutely impossible with Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can see, that may be true with Premier Elements. Looks like I bought the wrong product and must now try to get refunded. What do you recommend me use that I can do this on????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, will Premiere Elements make a Blu-ray? If no, then the rest doesn't matter. But since your reasons for saying this won't work are related to getting BD to play on a DVD, I'm asking. I think J. Bond intends to burn the to a BD and play on a BD capable device.

You can put SD quality files on a Blu-ray with those, and other, conditions.

J, you cannot use the vob files. You must convert them to mpg (and generally you want them recombined to their original single video per file - but given their size over 2G, they may already meet that). I used to do this with a product call VideoReDo, when Premier Pro would not import vobs and did not do smart rendering. Smart rendering does not re-transcode. Does elements import vobs? Does it do smart rendering? I don't know.

Yes, you are oversize even without any menus, so you will have to recompress some of them, and this will lower the quality on those videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, thank you for providing that. I contacted Elements support directly and unfortunately, SD files cannot be exported to a BD with their program. Well, it is possible to export to BD after clicking the HD only option but each file at least doubles in size and I wouldn't be able to put together what im trying to do unless I use a few discs which can be more costly.

I'm happy you acknowledge its possible to put SD content on Blu-Ray though. MOST of my files are around 200MB-1GB range in size. I can convert them to mpg but am not sure what you mean by "recombine them to their original single video per file". Basically, I have 132 video files and need to create menu/chapter navigation for them to make it like one LONG movie then put it on a BD. The Adobe person I spoke to said there are third party companies that have free programs to put SD content on BD but I cant seem to find them. And if they are free, I cant imagine you can create nice menu screens for the files(?). Are you familiar with any program I can use?????????????????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could put the SD files in a HD (1920x1080) timeline.

Dont scale the sd file up, leave it at 100%

Export to BD.

Downside is the files will get re-compressed

or

You could take out a month CC subscription,

that will give you acces to Premiere CS6 and Encore CS6.

You can drop the vobs in Encore and the wont get recompressed. If you change the extention they will.

Export to BD.

Smart rendering means only those parts that have been edited in a timelline are recompressed. The rest stays untouched.

Elements does not have smart rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding the SD files to an HD timeline will turn them into over-rezzed BluRay files, won't it, Ann? And that's not what the poster wants to do.

Also, buying a subscription to the Creative Cloud will not give you access to Adobe Encore. The program was discontinued a few years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC full or just PR CC gives you access to PR CS6: Encore CS6 is installed with PR CS6.

Edit: Encore was not "discontinued" so much as being declared "End of life." It is still available and can be used, but there is no support, and there are not fixes nor updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they dont get oversized. Uncheck scale to Framesize. (tested it myself)

and yes a subscription will give you access to Encore (even though it eol).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I didn't know that. It's not on the list of my CC programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct as its part of Premiere CS6 which you need to install.

Encore gets installed along side Pr cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what sd standard looks like in a hd frame on a bluray exported from E15.

sd in hd frame.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bedankt Ann. Well here's the thing. I have thousands of these .vob files so this is just my first try at compiling them. I know I can store the files on a hardrive/etc, but just call me old school, I want them on BD (not to be uploaded anywhere or sold). CC= $49 a month? Im hoping to do it at a more cost effective way since ill be spending the next several months, if not years doing this (I have an 8 month old so don't have much time to do stuff, ha). The videos don't need editing other than maybe a section removed/added. Menu/chapters need to be made. Take screen shots and use those jpgs as their chapter selection on the menu screens. Their aspect ratio is 4:3 so would the top and bottom shrink down like whats in your photo?? Below is a screenshot of how it looks on my widescreen......Can Adobe Media encoder (which I cant tell if that's a one time download fee to get or a monthly thing) change my .vob files to mp4? If so, at  the same quality they're in now? Or would Handbrake work just as well???? Premier Pro looks awesome, but again with the cost thing. My budget is $100 bucks or under to do this, so after now seeing my Elements wont work(?), im back to square one and need a different program, that I don't know what to get.. Suggestions anyone? Thanks again for everyones input!!!!video2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no point in getting a CC subscription (AME) just to convert from vob to mp4.

Every conversion means quality loss unless you use a tool like Handbrake and convert to lossless, but that means huge files.

And putting thousand of lossless files in Elements 15. I am guessing it is going to choke on them.

Might need an alternative route.

Instead of making a BD

Put them in smaller section as mp4 on a external drive or media player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now on the road, so a bit limited. I think the tool you want is something like VideoReDo, but for Bluray output.

I am still a bit surprised that Premiere Elements does not support a BD legal, SD resolution file, but that appears to be true.

Ann, will handbrake do a smart render on a vob file to mpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No Handbrake will only export to mkv or mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines