• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Script UI Panel problem - 4k screen - please help!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all - have a really frustrating problem with 3rd party script ui panels in adobe after effects.

I have bought  a dell xps15 laptop last month and this is my only complaint.  I'm an animator and frequently use 3rd party scripts (Duik, rubberhose, motion2, rift etc) these are absolutely essential to my workflow with character animation, with no sensible alternative to duik out there, paid or otherwise.  All the scripts seem to work fine except for drop down menus.  on ONLY 3rd party scripts, the ui dropdowns are cut short and clipped somehow, making items unselectable as your cursor cant reach them (see screengrabs)

UI problem.jpg

I've noticed that this dropdown problem only happens with docked scripts, and normal native after effects dropdowns are unaffected (see screenshot)

UI problem 2.jpg

I really need to know if this is something i can fix, as this makes my laptop unusable for a vast amount of my work which is obviously pretty ridiculous.

not sure if this is a windows 10 or an adobe problem or both - any ideas?

THINGS IVE TRIED WITH NO SUCCESS:

- switching on/off gpu acceleration

- testing ui panels docked and undocked

- reinstalling scripts

- changing font/window size in windows 10

- adding/decreasing amount of assigned memory to ae

- testing scripts on AE 2014, 2015.3 and 2017

- shouting

- swearing

- crying

I've put my system specs in the screenshot below and can supply any other info needed - even better, if you own a dell xps15 with the 4k screen, PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN REPLICATE THIS PROBLEM - would be amazing to know if this is just my system or is being replicated!

thanks in advance guys!!!

Untitled-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bevlak,

Sorry for this frustrating behavior. We really should fix this issue and I will provide feedback to the product team on your behalf. Others have chimed in with similar issues. Please file a bug report to add your voice to the issue. That way, I hope it will be fixed that much sooner. Every report is like a vote. The more votes, the more likely we see a fix sooner.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I'm experiencing the very same thing on my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 13. Thank god this issue doesn't exist on my desktop otherwise production would come to a screeching halt. Unsatisfactory. This needs to be attended to immediately. You can most certainly bet that I'll be filling out a bug report.

Respectfully,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bevlak,

As a workaround, I find that you can click on the drop down menu and then press the first letter of the function you are trying to call. For example the Sort function in Motion 2 can be selected by clicking on the menu drop down and pressing the S button. This appears to be the case for Duik as well. A pain in the a$$ to be sure but a working temporary solution nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also experiencing this issue on a script that has been working without problems for 2 years now. We've been updating the script to solve minor bugs that arise with new versions of AE, but we haven't found a good fix for this issue on our end. Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reminder: if you are experiencing this issue, posting on the forum is fine - commiseration can be cathartic, but you should really file a bug report too. Those are what gets tracked according to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to post a new discussion for this but I found this from January. Has there been any updates on this? it's been 3 months and I am running the most recent version of AE. I've submitted bug reports twice with a couple of months between them, it's very weird this hasn't been addressed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to scroll through the clipped options of those drop-down menus by clicking on it with the mouse then using the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case a workaround is to move the window which contains the dropdown as high as possible. When a big dropdown is longer than the AE window this clipping issue occurs. Bugreport was send.

ae-win10-bug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of AE are you using? I'm pretty sure this was fixed in last month's update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue looks to have been rectified. I am no longer experiencing these problems on my tablet. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the 4k monitor issue described by bevlak in the first post here up until a recent AE update, but now I'm experiencing the issue described by mikkamotomedia instead.

Dropdowns seem to work fine on 4k monitors now, but any dropdown that has too many items in it--enough that the list would extend past the end of the page, as shown in mikkamotomedia's screenshot--will no longer open when clicked. If you move the window higher on the screen so the list has room to open, it will open again, but some dropdowns may contain too many items to ever be able to open.

I don't think this was an issue until a recent update. The 4k monitor fix may have introduced this new problem. The items within long dropdown lists should probably be scrollable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue described by mikkamotomedia is still happening in the latest version of After Effects CC (released 10/18/17).

I've also noticed that now Script UI dropdowns are limited to showing 40 items or less. If the dropdown should contain more than 40 items, it only shows the first 40.

This may have been an intentional attempt to fix the bug where dropdowns that have too many items to fit on the screen won't open at all? But still, if the dropdown is positioned so that the 40 items won't fit on the screen, it won't open.

A fix for both problems would be adding scrollbars to dropdown lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The After Effects update that came out last night (might take up to 24 hours to propagate to Adobe's servers around the world) fixes several issues - it also adds some new functionality. See if this is fixed. (It's a good idea to update regardless as there are a BUNCH of bug fixes in there.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines