• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create modern lock-on target icons in PS?

Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

My client regularly wants new landing pages designed for their very target-focused business.

For this reason, I found out that the use of lock-on target icons fits their business image very well.

But to my surprise there appears to be no tutorial explaining how to create lock-on targets using Photoshop.

My company only has a license for PS and I could not work out how to create modern, sleek looking lock-on icons such as these with PS:

https://goo.gl/QuMxVC

Please someone provide me with tips and advice.

Thank you in advance,

Ead

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

By creating an »axis« (by creating the two object at the opposite sides) one can easily create a circular arrangement by setting the Angle and the Copies.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 08.49.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots on this Forum directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's a screenshot of the Google Images search results for lock-on target:

スクリーンショット 2017-07-25 11.02.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend designing such elements in Illustrator, in particular Effect > Distort and Transform > Transform might proof useful.

illustratorCrosshairTargetScr.png

They can be placed in Photoshop as Smart Objects.

Smart Object would also be useful if you want to do it in Photoshop alone as they allow to have multiple instances of an object that update together after editing.

And have you tried googling »photoshop crosshair tutorial«?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for recommending me that.

Do you think you could expand on how Transform can be used?

Crosshairs don't satisfy my client, so I'd like to see how the Effect can be used all the more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By creating an »axis« (by creating the two object at the opposite sides) one can easily create a circular arrangement by setting the Angle and the Copies.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 08.49.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eadig  wrote

Thank you for recommending me that.

Do you think you could expand on how Transform can be used?

Try Free Transform Step & Repeat.

Open a new document and place guides in the centre and place a line at the top like this

Copy the line layer, and start the Free Transform process

Carefully place the centre handle on the Guide intersection by holding down the Alt key (zoom in to be accurate), and put the desired angle in the Options bar.

Then use Shift Ctrl Alt T as many times as required to complete the circle.

There are so many ways you can produce cross hairs and targets, so you'd need to ask for specific before we could tell you how to do a particular effect.

Does the client have a company logo you could incorporate into the graphic.  If you'd like to share it, we could almost certainly come up with some ideas for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great! I managed to create a crosshair like the one above with Ps.

Having to shift the pivot icon for each line layer was a little tedious, but making one circular configuration as a template can save the hassle from the next time.

What I would like to create in the end is something like this: the hardest bit I noticed is to make the circumference composed of a few equidistant thick blocks:

screenshot-ak9.picdn.net-2017-07-26-14-11-48.png

If there's a hard and fast way, could you please show me the how-to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines