Exit

After Effects and 4k

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I´ve done some checks of speed with 4k and HD projects in After Effect:

* HD projects with .rpf files of  7 Mb have a speed of 20fps.

* 4K Projects with .png files of 23Mb (4096x4096, RGB + Alpha) have a speed of 2.3fps.

I don´t understand, 4k does not work properly.

How can I optimize 4k in After?

Thanks a lots.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Your preview needs to render before it plays back at full speed. There are a lot of things you can do to speed up Ram Previews. The first is to set the Comp Panel resolution to auto and use a magnification ratio of 50% or less. The second is to make sure that your footage is easy to decode. Many highly compressed MPEG formats require a tremendous amount of CPU power to decode and slow down your previews. You also need to make sure that you have sufficient disk space for the cache, that the memor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how much ram do you have?

What are your computer specifications?

are you using a laptop with a mechanical hard disk?

4k video is demanding on computer hardware...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

The computer (not laptop) specifications are:

Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (7 PCI-E x16, 1 M.2, 8 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN)

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11 GB)

Sreen Eizo Nanao FlexScan S2411W (Digital) [24" LCD] (45665057) (( sreen test

2 hard disks SSD: Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (978 GB) and INTEL SSDSC2BB480G7 (447 GB)

Thanks a lots.

Regards ++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing -- a proper preview, or just hitting the space bar and expecting miracles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

I pulse space bar and expect a fps much higher than 2,3.

This fps is very low.

Thanks a lots.

Regards ++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your preview needs to render before it plays back at full speed. There are a lot of things you can do to speed up Ram Previews. The first is to set the Comp Panel resolution to auto and use a magnification ratio of 50% or less. The second is to make sure that your footage is easy to decode. Many highly compressed MPEG formats require a tremendous amount of CPU power to decode and slow down your previews. You also need to make sure that you have sufficient disk space for the cache, that the memory allocation is correct, and that you don't have other apps, especially some virus scanners, running at the same time.

The most obvious cause of slow RAM previews is using Ray-traced rendering or the C4D rendering in the Advanced settings of the composition.

It sounds to me like you are just new to AE and do not understand how the application works. You should start here Basic AE to get an understanding of the app. it is not a NLE, it is a pixel and frame based compositing and motion graphics program designed to work on shots and short sequences and it is not suited at all to editing movies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read in some forum that After needs a special configuration for 4k. I think something needs to be changed in After to optimize 4k projects.

Hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines