• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Managing unnumbered pages

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF file of a book in which the front matter (title page, table of contents, preface, etc) is all on unnumbered pages. The file's page numbering begins, on p. 2, with the second page of the first chapter. When I try to select any of the unnumbered pages using Acrobat Pro's "Organize pages" tool, I am instructed to enter a valid page range. How can I manage (specifically export or print) these unnumbered pages?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

If you go to the Organize Pages tool set, you can click on the word ‘More’ in the toolbar across the top.  Select Page Labels.  From the resulting dialog box, Choose ‘Begin new section’, and in the Start box, enter the pages (at the front of your doc).  You can give these pages their own numbering system – even if temporarily.  Try lowercase Romans.  When you click OK, those pages should then carry official page number of i, ii, etc.  This should allow you to manipulate them without issue.  You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the Organize Pages tool set, you can click on the word ‘More’ in the toolbar across the top.  Select Page Labels.  From the resulting dialog box, Choose ‘Begin new section’, and in the Start box, enter the pages (at the front of your doc).  You can give these pages their own numbering system – even if temporarily.  Try lowercase Romans.  When you click OK, those pages should then carry official page number of i, ii, etc.  This should allow you to manipulate them without issue.  You should be able to change the numbering system back later, if you wish by using the same technique, if desired.

numbering.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked! Many thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it works for you!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that worked...but wow, tedious. I'm trying to extract just the cover page from multiple documents and have to go through this renumbering process for each. It seems strange that I can just click on an internal page thumbnail (or several) and then click extract, and it works fine. It seems that should work on pages without the default numbering system: Choose a page with the mouse-click, extract with the mouse-click. I call "bug."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines