• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map module working with a large dataset

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dataset of 38,000 geo-tagged photographs for a vegetation mapping project. The project area is 600,000 acres. I have a reasonably fast internet connection, but I still have to wait on the order of 2-5 minutes for the map to load to a new location or zoom level while it shows the "Map Offline" screen. I suspect that having to simultaneously churn through the large number of photographs and display the map is slowing the process down. Is there a way to download a cached basemap for just my project area to work locally? I would like to try to work with the map offline to see if that speeds up the wait time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

It's not your internet connection, it's the speed of your CPU that is slowing things down here.

If you must have all 38,000 images plotted on the map, I'm not aware of a way to make this faster other than to get a faster CPU.

If you don't need all 38,000 images on the map, and you can select a few hundred or a few thousand and put them into a collection/smart collection/quick collection, then if you select the collection and then go to the map module, you will see much faster performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not your internet connection, it's the speed of your CPU that is slowing things down here.

If you must have all 38,000 images plotted on the map, I'm not aware of a way to make this faster other than to get a faster CPU.

If you don't need all 38,000 images on the map, and you can select a few hundred or a few thousand and put them into a collection/smart collection/quick collection, then if you select the collection and then go to the map module, you will see much faster performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im in a simliar situation - I would like to download and work from a baseman offline as I'm conducting whale research on a ship with no internet but a need to geotag and visualize on a map where photographs were taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines