• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Asked to edit Project from Client after they used my Native Files

Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I need some advice about what has happened after handing over native files to a client.

It seems all agencies that do business with this client hand over their native files to the client for printing/translating, etc. I have done the same.

But now my contact at this client is asking me to fine tune and proof some in-house designer's use of MY FILES that have been adapted for a new product launch !?!

Does this cross some kind of line? Or is the new reality?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they want you to do it for free, then yes, it crosses the line. If it’s billable, I see no problem with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. and add a generous bonus for yourself because tutoring is way more expensive than "mere" graphic design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless your contract with the client says otherwise, they are not crossing the line. And yes, I agree with Bob and Jongware that you should be paid for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've just discovered why they ask you for all your source files.

Like the previous respondents, I don't think they're crossing the line when they're modifying the source files you gave them. Though you should not be expected to fix things for free -- if it's billable at your regular-plus rate for fixing and troubleshooting, that's commonly acceptable. And for your self-preservation, I wouldn't give them any price or time breaks for providing the service.

But another issue comes into play here. You need to consider that they're hanging you on the hook to ensure that the in-house designer's modifications will work. Otherwise, they'd just ship them straight to the printer and you'd never see them again.

Now, they can be doing that with you because they feel guilty about repurposing your work and they want to make sure that you get token reimbursement for the work you've already done. They may be nice that way. But more likely, it's because they know they have problems with the work this in-house designer is turning out, and they are paying you to fix it and make sure it's right. And worse, they're not going to tell you that because they want to deal with those problems internally and hang you with the responsibility.

As they say, dangers of the trade ...

Take that into account and don't take this project lightly. Take the time to make absolutely sure that these modified files will get the client the results expected. Make sure they compensate you for the attention to detail that they've asked of you. And if they ask you what needed to be fixed to turn out quality work, and it took substantial reworking, be sure to tell them you'd be happy to discuss that with them in detail during a formal (billable) client consultation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And let them know it would have cost less for you to do things properly in the first place.

As the old saying goes, if you think a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Bob, I prefer to just show them the hammer rather than beat them over the head with it. I generally don't have to call them on it when their talent can't make it happen and I deliver on what they need.

But then I remember my mechanic's posted shop rates:

$60 an hour,

$75 an hour if you watch,

$90 an hour if you help.

Wait a minute -- he's making what I'm making!

I guess that message stuck ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Randy ,

I had a similar set of rates. But I had another rate: $40 / hour if  I can stay home and do the work in my pajamas. I call them "pajama jobs".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they just want comments and direction. I was sent a PDF to look at and not the InDesign files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I believe you've got great and detailed suggestion by industry experts. This is more of a discussion then a specific product question, hence I am changing this thread as a discussion. If there's anything you need to ask specifically, please feel free to do so.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of this exact issue, some designers do not turn over the original files. They provide PDFs for printing. Translators don't usually need the original files. They just need the text, which can be exported from the original files as plain text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. But all other agencies are doing it. Unfortunately, my best contact has left the company and I am dealing with others that don't use me as much. I've been doing work for this company, in some capacity, for some 32 years. First through an agency, and then when that agency closed, working for them independently. I'm trying to dodge a bullet here, and fear this might be the writing on the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may well be. No business relationship lasts forever, though the one you've had for 32 years is more than close enough. I understand why you'd mourn such a loss. But if there's writing on the wall, it's up to them to erase it and not you.

It's good that they sent you a PDF file to review, I guess, because then it doesn't sound like they want to put you on the hook for fixing problems. It's bad because then it sounds like they are looking for free — or at the very least, cheap — advice. If you think you're a short-timer with this client, there's no excuse not to bill for what they want from you. There's no shame in saying you expect to be paid for work you do for them. It's an honest consultation fee.

And if they don't come back because you didn't give them free expertise, you've lost nothing anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent answers particularly from Randy – don't give your customer a price until you've examined the file and allowed for the time you'll need to see the changes they've done as well as considered the new ones they require!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines