• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create 2 Column English-Japanese Comparison

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed this guide Adobe InDesign Tips: Japanese/CJK Functionality + English UI to install inDesign in English with some added features only available in the Japanese version. This was done for the purpose of using ruby on top of the Japanese Kanji.

I am new to inDesign. I am trying to create a document that has two columns. The left column will contain English text only, and the right column will contain Japanese text only (horizontal text, not vertical). I want the English text to flow to the next page and stay on the left column only. I want the same for the Japanese text, but have it stay on the right column. I already have the English text in a .txt document, and the Japanese text in a word document.

Next, I want to add the ruby (furigana) over the Kanji for the Japanese text. This should be possible after following the guide from the link above.

Next, I want to align each paragraph with it's respective translation. I will also need to do the proper typesetting for both texts.

This is intended to be eventually printed. I thought a 6in x 9in (215.9 mm x 279.4 mm), 2 column, 13 mm margin document would be a good size to work with.

This image gives a general idea of what I am shooting for.

sidebyside.jpgsource of text: Nippon Talk – Japanese Daycares – 日本の保育園

How do I do what I want? I appreciate any help I can get.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try a bit more now.

Edit: Well, this task is too much of an undertaking for me. I still can't get the columns to work, and after playing with the ruby setting, it looks like I have to manually enter the kana for each kanji, and there are thousands of them. It's just not possible. I think I just have to give up. Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since you already have installed the English UI InDesign with Japanese features, rest of the part only involves figuring out what Ruby and kanji settings are and where these options are....

I suggest you create two separate text frames (not one frame with two columns) and use them for English and Japanese text. You also have the text available with you in two word files.

So all you need to do is,

1. Create two frames, one on the left and one on the right

2. Place the word and txt files in those frames separately (File-> place)

3. Use the Japanese features to style your text as needed.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Never tried with Japanese! 

[Personal script not for free!]

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amaarora

When I try, the text flows from the left column to the right. How do I keep left to left, and right to right?

Obi-wan Kenobi

That looks great and could be very helpful, but it doesn't explain how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you creating a single frame with two columns?

What i was suggesting was to create 2 separate frame (one for English, one for Japanese).

Some thing like...

I have created 2 frames on the page (one for English, one for Japanese). The same is for all the pages of the document. Since the frames are different, my English text would remain on the left forever and wont mix with the Japanese text. Moreover, i can apply individual styles and properties to the text. I hope the idea is conveyed now. The only extra thing, i have done is to thread the English frames together and Japanese frames together, so that the text text flows from one English frame to another English frame.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Aman said, 2 frames flows!

If you have the same paras settings, you could align the paras with "manual" hard-returns!

My script is more powerful and plays the game in all cases!

It simply extracts the vertical position of each para, compares them and makes calculations to align the corresponding paras!

if the layout moves, just 1 click to play the game again! …

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't know anything about Japanese and how you generate "rubys"

Let's assume you have a unique English paragraph and a unique Japanese paragraph each time.

Here's an alternative workaround you might find helpful (or not ^^)

First, you must have your text set as follows:

• english para
  • japanese para
  • english para
  • japanese para
  • etc...

I understand this would require extra work since you have separate text files, but if this is acceptable to you, you can keep reading...

The idea is to :

• place the whole text in a frame with two columns
  • add a "special ghost" paragraph before each English paragraph (1st one is not necessary). Using Grep search/replace feature would make this quite easy to do. Let's call it "BREAK". Set it to "Span all columns"
  • make sure both English and Japanese paragraphs stay in their respective columns using Keep options (keep all lines together)
  • you can play with baseline grid in order to keep perfect alignments
  • last 2 paragraphs may mess up. Balancing columns should fix that, or you can do it manually.

See example:

keep.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinny,

What about paras between 2 pages?!

Of course, if you consider this case never happens, … !

(^/). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Obi,

Good point!

it sure would prevent paragraphs to run across 2 pages

Now, it might not be that bad, depending on how OP wants to set up his document. It might give better readability.

But it's a limitation (maybe not the only one) that is worth being raised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I see what you meant...

Japanese para may start in next page, left column if much larger than the English one.

Not so good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd probably use a 2 column table with a new row starting anywhere you need maintain the alignment between the left and right columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue about paras between 2 pages! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try a bit more now.

Edit: Well, this task is too much of an undertaking for me. I still can't get the columns to work, and after playing with the ruby setting, it looks like I have to manually enter the kana for each kanji, and there are thousands of them. It's just not possible. I think I just have to give up. Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines