• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line breaks change when I make my indesign file single pages

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Line breaks change when I make my indesign file single pages. My file is set up as spreads but with facing pages turned off, but now I need to add bleed to my pages on all four sides. When I do this some of the line breaks change and make the flow of the pages change. I could check each page but the file is 72 pages long and need any easier why of doing this. Any ideas? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not make my text reflow as yours did when I took a long document that was single pages set up in spreads and converted it to single pages set up singly to add bleed. So I wonder if the method that you are using to make your document into single pages set up singly is the problem. I am assuming that the reason that you’ve been able to make spreads with single pages is that “Allow Document Pages To Shuffle” under the Pages Panel pull-down is unchecked. If that is the case then check it and you will be asked if you want the spreads to be maintained as they are. Say No and the document will automatically become single pages set up singly. When I tested this and any time I’ve done it in the past text did not reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not work. It did make the pages single pages but it still changed the line breaks. Thanks for the info though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the text frames threaded together or are they separate? Are the frames contained entirely on each single page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostare threaded, I notice on one page it really didn't like where I forced the line break and sent it to the next page at the forced line break spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening up the bottom of the text frames that have been reragging prior to converting to single pages? If the problem is not happening universally then allowing a bit more room so that text won't flip to another frame for the offending frames might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another page that is giving me line break issues the text box is set up as 2 columns and there is lots of space at the end of the 2nd column and the line breaks change in the last paragraph in the 2nd column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This to me does not seem like normal behavior. It's possible that resetting your InDesign preferences might help.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

It's a long shot in this case and somebody else might have another thought about what's causing your problem but resetting certainly seems worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gave this a try but didn't make a difference - didn't hurt to try. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have set up your document in a wrong way.

1. You have to set up the page size in the size of the final trimmed single page.
  2. Bleed is not part of the page size. In Document Set up you have to click More Options and add the bleed.
  3. If this product printed on both sides you have to set up a facing page document, never a document without facing pages.

If you have done these 3 steps correctly, your described problems would not appear.

Don't use forced line breaks. (Exceptions exists, but not very often.)

I suppose you have to start over correctly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input Willi. I do have the pages set up as the final size as it would be trimmed but set up as spreads but because of the way it is going to be printed and bound I need to add bleed to the pages on all for sides (it is coil bound). We force line breaks all the time with no issue but this is an exception I guess. But these are things we can keep in mind for the future when setting up a file it may be a little late for this project since it is completed and is 72 pages long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the printer specifcally requests otherwise jobs that are to be spiral (coil) bound should always be set up as single pages because of the bleed issue. Left and Right Page Masters can be created with elements that go across the gutters appropriately duplicated and applied as needed and bleed and auto-page numbers can be added. As long as “Allow Document Pages to Shuffle” is unchecked pages with images that will traverse the spreads can be temporarily put into spreads and images can be duplicated and adjusted as needed. When that is done activate “Allow Document Pages to Shuffle” and you’ll be asked if you want to maintain the number of pages per spread. Respond “No” and the pages will go back to singles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this might help next time but now the job is completed and ready for print and too much work to do it this way since it is a 72 page document. Unfortunately now Im trying to find a work around to fix it which I haven't found yet. This is not the best way of doing it but I just made it single pages and carefully checked each page for line breaks and adjusted them when needed so it matches the line breaks when it was in spreads. Not the best solution abut it is a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help with your current issue, but here is a way to have single pages, but still maintain a separate left and right master page. 

https://indesignsecrets.com/breaking-pages-apart-to-bleed-off-a-spine.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that tip but it didn't help with my issue of line breaks. But this might come in handy in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines