• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files Crashing on 5 computers - unsure whay

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, We have 5 admin staff using indesign and are all experiencing issues with documents becoming corrupt and losing work and having to redo it. Our IT department only backs up once every night so doesnt really help us to just get the back up as we usually make heaps of changes throughout the day. We have installed additional ram to the computers which has stopped the constant destroyed files however we are still getting at least 1 a day from 5 computers. We have no experts in the office to help and its driving our agents insane when work is not able to be recovered.

Can someone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not without more info.

What version of ID? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all working on a server or is all work being done locally on each user's hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​Its a network server.​

My computer is:

Design we are using:

Regards,

Emma Harris

Office Manager  |  Ray White Special Projects (Qld) | Ray White

Commercial Queensland

[Contact info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you included images they were dropped.

You need to edit your reply in the forum software for us to see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System.JPG

Indesign.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

Was there a change in the network settings recently? Did you or one of the users try working on a file saved locally in the machine?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to add a screenshot? You can not do that via email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one possible answer for your problems, but you may not like it.

It's a corollary of the answer I gave another question previously. You may want to read this thread first:

InDesign CC file is damaged or missing error

Since you run off a network server and have device/local installs, I suspect your erratic problems come from floating .idlk files in the network. You can test this by:

1) Temporarily shutting down InDesign on every machine that have it installed on the network. No exceptions. Part of your problem is that your systems are always-on so the IT folks can do the nightly backups.

2) Go onto the server and search for all InDesign lock files e.g. *.idlk. Dollars to donuts, I'll bet your server is polluted with 'em. Most servers in busy production shops are. And the more InDesign freezes/crashes with open files, the worse it gets.

3) Delete all those .idlk files. Dispatch them without mercy. If all your InDesign systems are shut down anyway, they're trash that needs to be disposed of.

4) Fire up InDesign on the network systems and see if it works better. I'll bet you a nickel that it does ... for at least a while.

If this is your problem — and I suspect it is — there are a couple of ways to prevent it. But there's no reason to go into them here until you know this is the cause of the problem.

Please give this a try and let us know if it helps. If it does, I can help you with the next step(s) to fix the problem.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Just to follow up ... did you try deleting the lock files on your server(s)? And if you did, did that help with your problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

Thank you for the follow up. I have passed on your email to our IT

department and they are working on the server issues.

Will keep you updated with the outcome

Regards,

Emma Harris

~Personal info removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Emma,

Please refrain from sharing personal information on a public forum like this one. Thanks for the confirmation, will wait for your update.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines