Exit

FYI: Flash is officially dead

Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the corporate communication:

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Moderators: I posted this in the Lounge for a reason.   Please do not move this to a product forum.  Thanks .

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important to note that this is in regard to Flash Player in the web browser and does not apply to either Adobe AIR for desktop and mobile or Adobe Animate CC (formerly Flash Professional).

Also: 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Flash Player will end in 2020, the major browsers are already ending support for plugins.  This means Flash's days are numbered.   Site owners who still rely on Flash need to develop an exit strategy now; not 12 or 15 months from now.  

I recently came across a web site that was entirely Flash driven and I couldn't see a thing in my default browser as I don't have Flash Player plugins anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been rewriting our content for about 5 years now. Believe me... I know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you consider the wisest and most economic direction to go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

buzzy@rhythmbee.com  wrote

What do you consider the wisest and most economic direction to go?

There is no easy way to convert flash content to html5 content, and as for the wisest and most economic direction, only you and your clients/boss can decide that.

Convert the most high profile or highest used content first, if you have a large amount of flash content and it is for internal use only, (intranet) you may gain a little extra time by limiting your users to a specific browser that is never updated. Warning about that though is that no one can use that browser for anything else but the intranet, and should never connect to the actual internet, you should also check with your legal department, as the company will be liable for any data breaches, (especially in the EU, which is making the law on data protection much stricter at the end of this year).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I learn more about Adobe Air?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a ton of resources out there that cover AIR. I recently published this, for instance: https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/animate-cc-air-desktop-applications/table-of-contents

I've also written a ton of AIR stuff on my blog: http://inflagrantedelicto.memoryspiral.com/category/air/

AIR – In Flagrante Delicto!

There are LOTS of resources out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @JosephLabrecque said.

There is a lot of time to plan any transition, action, or any fancy word you want to use.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulSalazar  wrote

As @JosephLabrecque said.

There is a lot of time to plan any transition, action, or any fancy word you want to use.

Regards

That all depends on how much flash content one has to change.

A couple of items, no problems, hundreds or for some thousands of items, big problem. Especially when you must get funding for doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no time like the present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines