• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still trying to turn-off the Creative Cloud app's pop-up when a font isn't loaded or an image linked.

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I turned off "TypeKit" in Creative Cloud's preferences weeks ago, found it myself on hunch.

I've searched repeatedly for a way to permanently, forever and ever, turn off "Creative Cloud." Still can't find an answer that addresses the root problem:  an annoying marketing application that I will never, ever use, and that I can't permanently ban from being re-installed on my hardware.

In response to the one helpful answer that turns up in searches:  the wretched "Creative Cloud" pop-up menu still always - ALWAYS - comes up when I open an InDesign file that uses fonts that I've manually closed, for font management reasons, AND images that have lost their link because I moved a folder during a cleanup.

I do not now nor will I ever use these "Creative Cloud" ... marketing "features" ... I've been a heavy high-end user of Adobe software since Illustrator 88 and do not need this annoying interruption every time I open a file. I am not going to use your "Cloud" fonts, ever. And if I was ever going to buy illustrations from you, I certainly won't now and into the future.

As I keep saying to you guys, what the heck is wrong with you? Can't you keep your marketing weasels under control?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

I see.

What poor workflow habits of mine are you referring to, by the way? I wasn't the creator of those insanely crappy files, I was the troubleshooter who spent 17 years in a concrete bunker next to a big press room full of noisy offset presses figuring out how to fix those files.

Being a professional, I, of course, assume if I open a file for revisions that I need to check the fonts and links before doing anything else. Easiest thing to do is hit Package, that'll tell you all you need to know i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Just clarifying, sargentrock2. What you are calling "pop-up marketing" is this Missing Fonts dialog box, right? You might want to put in a feature request to disable the dialog box when you don't want to be alerted to missing fonts. You can do that here: Wishform - Adobe InDesign. I rely on it personally, but you are not the only one who doesn't want to have to click through it (for a variety of reasons). Letting the engineering team know is key.

InDesign CCss_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, sarge. I think you're confusing two functions here.

Let's deal with your most maddening one first:

The font management and unlinked image alerts are not a function of the "Creative Cloud" application, unless you've previously used TypeKit fonts or stored your linked images in your Creative Cloud folder on Adobe servers. If you've manually closed a font for font management reasons, opening an InDesign file that needs it will open that pop-up alert box. And it has since the start of Creative Suite in 2003. And InDesign since it was introduced in 1999, come to think of it. Same for bad links you created when you move files you previously linked to your InDesign documents into other folders.

It doesn't matter if you broke the links to local, network or online locations. Or that the fonts you shut off locally or with TypeKit are unavailable. Those alerts are letting you know that you have caused problems for your InDesign document(s); not that Creative Cloud did. It's kinda unfair for you to blame Adobe for that.

Now for the rest.

Unfortunately, the Creative Cloud application is necessary for Adobe to know you're using valid software. It "phones home" on a monthly basis (or thereabouts) to ensure that your subscription is current and allows you to use the software you've subscribed to. You don't have to use Adobe's TypeKit fonts or buy clipart from Adobe. But you do have to have the Creative Cloud app installed if you want to use Creative Cloud software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already know that Creative Cloud keeps Adobe Central up-to-date on my installed Cloud app(s) and I certainly have no problem with InDesign checking in to verify my subscription.

However, you are not-very-cleverly dancing around my original question:  why does this marketing pop-up have to show up at all if I don't want to see it?

You can call it whatever Adobe's marketing department wants you to call it, but I still say it's a marketing pop-up and customers should be allowed to turn it off permanently. It has absolutely nothing to do with verifying my InDesign subscription. I've never used Cloud fonts, never bought any art from Adobe, and wouldn't ever, for any reason, store any of my files in Adobe's cloud. Multi-terabyte hardrives are dirt cheap, and Apple's Time Machine works flawlessly.

Kinda unfair that I... blame... Adobe... and that I... am the one who... caused... a "problem" with my excellently created file? That is really insulting, Randy. And, no, your post is NOT the correct answer to my question. You didn't even try to answer it, instead you deflected it by trying to blame me for Adobe's bad marketing behavior.

What kind of idiot needs to be reminded that they need to load fonts and link artwork? Ooo-Oooo, I know that one, Mr. Kotter! The kinds of idiots whose crappy files I had to preflight, troubleshoot, and rebuild so they could actually be printed on offset printing presses in my last 17 years working in digital prepress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy, actually I did answer your question. You just don't like it. And you don't have to. Don't feel obliged to mark this as the correct answer. Because at this point, I don't think anyone could give you an answer that'll satisfy you.

I'm not Adobe. I don't work for Adobe. I don't even play Adobe on TV.

But if your excellently created file uses fonts that aren't available because you turned them off, that's not bad marketing behavior. That's a problem with the file that Adobe is asking you to fix before you open the file and corrupt your excellently created file with substituted fonts. And if you place files in your InDesign document and move them from the folders they were in, it's still not bad marketing behavior. That's a problem with the file that Adobe is asking you to fix before you output the file and get 72 dpi resolution because there's no linked high-res image linked to your InDesign document.

Your dripping sarcasm doesn't cover the fact that your workflow is causing you problems, not Creative Cloud. And if you were using the same poor work habits for 17 years, Mr. Horshack, you had the same problems when you were messing things up with Creative Suite or InDesign 1.0.

I'm not an apologist for Adobe. But you seem determined to vent about why you hate Adobe. Don't let me stop you. But please excuse me while I pinch this off and leave you to stew in your own juices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

What poor workflow habits of mine are you referring to, by the way? I wasn't the creator of those insanely crappy files, I was the troubleshooter who spent 17 years in a concrete bunker next to a big press room full of noisy offset presses figuring out how to fix those files.

Being a professional, I, of course, assume if I open a file for revisions that I need to check the fonts and links before doing anything else. Easiest thing to do is hit Package, that'll tell you all you need to know in seconds. It's the first thing professionals do.

This discussion continues the ongoing devolution, beginning when "desktop publishing" replaced all the professional typesetters with amateurs. Four hundred years of professional tradesmanship, gone forever.

I don't hate Adobe. I hate marketing weasels. And I still say that pop-up is a marketing ploy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just clarifying, sargentrock2. What you are calling "pop-up marketing" is this Missing Fonts dialog box, right? You might want to put in a feature request to disable the dialog box when you don't want to be alerted to missing fonts. You can do that here: Wishform - Adobe InDesign. I rely on it personally, but you are not the only one who doesn't want to have to click through it (for a variety of reasons). Letting the engineering team know is key.

InDesign CCss_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb - yep, that's the box. Or, one of them. There's another that was popping up telling me I could go into the cloud to find some missing image, maybe the same box. I just poked around and couldn't make it come up again.

Sure seems to me that, especially when I'm told to look in Adobe's images, it's a marketing thing.

Did not know about the Wishform. Thanks! Will do that. I haven't been very impressed with Adobe's Do-It-Yourself support initiative.

I was an InDesign beta tester and one of many who pleaded with the team to dis-allow "stylizing" of fonts - i.e., like in Quark where you could (and still can) click on "ital" or "bold" and Quark will helpfully create a pseudo ital by leaning the roman, or a pseudo bold by adding a stroke, but a prepress RIP would just output the roman without the pseudo effect. That cost printing companies a lot of money, and I still salute Adobe for leaving that "feature" out of InDesign. Lately, though, the old book files I revise in Quark that have pseudo ital seem to print OK. Prepress rips may have evolved a bit since I retired from prepress. But I digress...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines