• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting Smart Previews

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i am using Lightroom CC on a Mac, with the latest update. I am storing my photos on an external hard drive and have the catalog and smart previews on the MacHD. My question is if I delete a smart preview does the original photo get deleted when I reconnect my hard drive. Or do I need to have my hard drive connected before deleting photos and smart previews? I know making changes to the smart preview means that the changes will sync with the original when HD reconnected.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Yes, the flag and any other metadata will apply to the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview or photos? These are different things:

The previews - normal and smart - are independent from the original photos. Deleting any of the previews will never harm an original photo and previews can always be recreated by Lightroom.

Deleting a photo gives you the option to only remove from the catalog and leave the original photo alone, or remove from disc also.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks F.McLion. I understand that photos and previews are different things. When I make an edit to a photo using the smart preview the original gets update when I reconnect my hard drive (I know that these are non-destructive edits) I guess another way of posing the question is that if I flag a smart preview as 'rejected' when I connect my hard drive does that flag sync with the original photo?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the flag and any other metadata will apply to the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John, so flag but don't delete until hard drive reconnected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines