Exit

Watch lines in text box move in real time as I change the size of the box

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be simple - I hope!

Just moved over to the Cloud from CS5.

When I click a selection point on a text frame to resize the text frame, before releasing the click, I would like to see the text adjust as I move the mouse.

Right now, when I am dragging the size of a text box, I cannot see the text/lines moving until I release my mouse.

Does this make sense?! I don't know how to phrase my question or use the correct terminology - hence why my searching for an answer came up empty. I'd like to see the text adjust in real-time as I lengthen or shorten a text box.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

There is also a Preference that can be set in the Interface tab of the InDesign Preferences called “Live Screen Drawing”. Set it for Immediate. Do this with no files open and it will become your default behavior once you have quit InDesign and reopened it. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 4.12.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click, hold for a second and then drag to resize the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much! I will make the adjustment in my Prefs as mentioned below, but you were correct too - I was moving my mouse too quick to see the text adjust!  THank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5, IIRC, was the only version to default to immediate for live screen redraw. It was a disaster as anything other than small documents slowed to a crawl. I would leave it at delayed and use the PUM (patient user mode) when you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BobLevine  wrote

CS5, IIRC, was the only version to default to immediate for live screen redraw. It was a disaster as anything other than small documents slowed to a crawl. I would leave it at delayed and use the PUM (patient user mode) when you need it.

Bob is right about the history of this feature but since CS5 is the version you're moving over from you're probably used to the speed issues. If you do find it cumbersome in CC 2017 then it is certainly simple to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a Preference that can be set in the Interface tab of the InDesign Preferences called “Live Screen Drawing”. Set it for Immediate. Do this with no files open and it will become your default behavior once you have quit InDesign and reopened it. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 4.12.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much Bill!  I am doing that RIGHT now! It's such a small thing but was really bugging me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines