Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content box outlines

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have accidentally clicked on the left hand side on the grid numbers and all my boxes have come up as if I've clicked on all of them. I've tried clicking outside all of them and they go away. All of my text has also been highlighted, I can't change any colours and all my typekit and original fonts have disappeared.

If some one could help me fix this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Kaitlyn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

"Left hand side on the grid numbers" is 'to the left of the vertical ruler'? Then, have you accustomed yourself to exclusively working in Preview mode?

Preview Mode hides "boxes as if you selected them", whereas the Normal mode always shows them (yes it's actually considered the 'normal' working mode'), and it also hides the colorful hints that InDesign gives you about missing fonts - the pink highlight the other posters refer to. "Not being able to change the colours", though, is unrelated to th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot would help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. This is all I can show due to privacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond missing fonts (pink highlighting) I don't see what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having trouble with the Typekit fonts, here's a troubleshooting guide:

Troubleshoot font syncing problems in Typekit

If you're having trouble with your regular fonts, do you use a font manager? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't have a font manager. Would this get the regular fonts back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not unless they're actually installed on the system. From the type menu select find font to see what's missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Left hand side on the grid numbers" is 'to the left of the vertical ruler'? Then, have you accustomed yourself to exclusively working in Preview mode?

Preview Mode hides "boxes as if you selected them", whereas the Normal mode always shows them (yes it's actually considered the 'normal' working mode'), and it also hides the colorful hints that InDesign gives you about missing fonts - the pink highlight the other posters refer to. "Not being able to change the colours", though, is unrelated to this, unless you mean you attempted to change the pink warning color to something else.

Look at the difference: Preview mode, no problem in sight. No boxes, no strange blue lines, no mysterious background colors.

"Normal" mode: ground! pull up!

The second line is highlighted to indicate that it is set in a font that is not available. The text will still print and export nicely, but not with the correct font!

The thingy that you happened to click on is Toggle Preview. I'd gladly refer to the online help, but the only description of the toolbox discusses the tools, and forgets to mention the use of the bits and bobs at the very bottom (Use the tools in the InDesign Toolbox ). Well ... this is what it does.

I strongly recommend you to not working (exclusively) in Preview Mode. Yes, that 'normal' view may look cluttered, but it's actually littered with helpful lines, frames, placeholders, hints, errors pointed out to you, and other otherwise invisible stuff that anybody would surely need to create a good looking and technically correct document.

Point in case: without this, you would never have seen that the fonts that you think you are using are actually generic replacement fonts for the missing ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help. That all makes sense. I will have to learn how to work in this mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines