• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects support for the new Photoshop blending options.

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Photoshop versions have introduced a new way to do layer blending options, and it allows for example, to add multiple glows and drop shadows to the same layer.

Unfortunately, After Effects doesn't respect those new options, and instead just loads the first effect it finds in each category, without any warning.

Are there plans to update layer styles in After Effects to be able to load those comps with editable layer styles? For the type of work I do, it'll be invaluable.

Thanks in advance! ! !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017
The new Photoshop versions have introduced a new way to do layer blending options

this feature in photoshop is available since CC 2015 but unfortunately it is not supported in Ae. if you wan't it, you should ask for it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

BTW, on import ,the "merge layer styles" options in Ae won't cut it. the only way you can have your multiple layer styles is to resterize your layer in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Photoshop versions have introduced a new way to do layer blending options

this feature in photoshop is available since CC 2015 but unfortunately it is not supported in Ae. if you wan't it, you should ask for it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

BTW, on import ,the "merge layer styles" options in Ae won't cut it. the only way you can have your multiple layer styles is to resterize your layer in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's even worse.

I agree. that's why I don't use multiple instances in Photoshop and resort to other methods for achieving the same effect. there are other essential photoshop options that are not supported in Ae so I got used to working from within the limits. I remember a time (I believe it was in CS3 - that's 10 years ago) where layer styles were not supported at all so you had to rasterize your layers in Ps before you imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's possible when you are the one doing all the design work, but that's not really my case. So now I have to comb through thousands of layers looking for the ones that are not going to import correctly.

Is there at least a photoshop script to automate that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's possible when you are the one doing all the design work, but that's not really my case. So now I have to comb through thousands of layers looking for the ones that are not going to import correctly.

preparing Ps or Ai artwork was always a challenge for every Ae artist. I don't thing this process will disappear anytime soon. too many options and different ways of handling layers between these 3 apps. many designers are just lazy and don't bother with naming, or with using a technique or process that will be easier on the Ae Artist. maybe because they don't know or can't really tell since it's too forward thinking. many essential features are handled differently or not at all like: clipping masks, advanced blending, shape strokes and more. we always had to bite the bullet on that one. see what you find, on the photoshop forum or google, for improving your specific workflow. you do have the search bar in photoshop were you can search for an effect or attribute->layer effects and isolate the layers that have effect. I don't see a filter for multiple instances...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I don't mind preparing my files to import, I do it all the time, but this is super inconvenient because it's pretty hidden from view, and doesn't really import correctly. At lest layer masks and advanced blending do look correct on import somewhat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At lest layer masks and advanced blending do look correct on import somewhat.

multiple layer masks with different path operations can't cross with incorrect order (the solution is setting it to difference in Ae) feather won't cross (you can add same type of feather in Ae), some advanced blending options won't cross ("blend if" for example, some knockout options I think too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of those, I don't need them to animate, and I don't have crossed them as much, I do need layer styles, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of those, I don't need them to animate

you don't animate them usuallly, but you do need them to cross over and can miss that they didn't cross over properly. are you animating layer styles? these usually leads to bad results due to render order (unless it's something like color). what type of animation are you applying to layer styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKax4f7hCIT/?taken-by=zenzuke&hl=es Those shadows, for example, are all live layer styles, so I can give them some noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines