• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save images bigger than 5795px in PS and AI?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a problem that occurred to me yesterday the first time:

I had a quite big .psb (photoshop big format) image and wanted to save it per legacy for web – because it is the most convenient and simplest way – with 8000px (long side).

But the biggest length photoshop let me choose was 5793px. I thought it has probably something to do with my former chosen size and so on, so I left it there.

I thought it has probably something to do with my former chosen size and so on, so I left it there.

Today I have the same Problem with Illustrator:

I have a vector image and want to save it (again with legacy for web) with 8000px on the long side and got only 5795px.

5793 and 5795 are quite odd figures …

I want to safe my illustrations (from PS and AI) with 8000px because that’s what I need for some products (like blankets) in the Redbubble store. – So I thought it must be a somehow common size to save pictures …

I work with PS and AI for years now and nver had such a problem, but then again, I never tried to save with 8000px …

Has anybody an idea what I do wrong here?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,

Nadine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Hi Dave,  Posted  after you got in. 8192 px is the hard limit for the Legacy Save for Web and if it is stuck at what was used before, that might be it.

But since you got in first, go ahead and run your diagnostics.

Edit: The article is four years old. Perhaps something that was fixed?  what version of PS is she using?

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nadine

that does not sound right.

Can you show a screen snapshot of :

a. Your Image size dialogue (don't change anything - just show it)

b. Your Save for Web (legacy) dialogue just before you try and save

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Photoshop does is remember the settings of the last time you Saved for Web on your file by default. I've found that only when photoshop is remembering these settings, and your settings were for a png, will it prevent you from saving another png at 100%. But if you confuse it a bit, you can get around it. Basically, you have to change Photoshop's memory to a jpeg output instead of png.

Here's what I did:

Open file, Save for Web, change whatever settings Photoshop is remembering to a jpeg output (quality level doesn't matter), then press Done. The UI goes away and you're back in your file.

Now, go to Save for Web again.

From: Photoshop: Remove the 8192px limit on save for web | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7 Interesting - I don't seem to be able to replicate that here using CC2017 and Windows 10. It defaults to 100% every time

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,  Posted  after you got in. 8192 px is the hard limit for the Legacy Save for Web and if it is stuck at what was used before, that might be it.

But since you got in first, go ahead and run your diagnostics.

Edit: The article is four years old. Perhaps something that was fixed?  what version of PS is she using?

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on the 8192px limit - I do get that , but I would like to see where 5792/3 is coming from

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if it's CS6 or earlier, maybe SFW is remembering previous settings, but of course have a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah – problem solved! – my mistake:

I did not know about the 8192px limit (also an odd number …), and tried different pixel sizes on both sides – ended up with trying 8000px on the shorter side – and it snapped back to the limit, that is in my two pics:  8192px*5793px and 8192px*5795px

– and then I was just confused by the odd numbers …

Yay!

Thank you all so much!

But I have one question left perhaps you have a solution for that, too:

So, for saving real big sized png, e.g. with 9000px, in PS I go to the image size dialogue and then simply save as a png.

With Illustrator, it should be very simple to save bigger formats since it is a vector format.

But the only pixel accurate dialogue I know there is the legacy dialogue …

Is there another way to safe pixel accurate png/jpg in different sizes directly out of AI, or do I have to open my file in PS and do it there? (The last seems to be the only way)

Thank you very much again!

Nadine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import your vector into Photoshop, set the raster (pixel) size there.

Use the simple File > Save As... and choose Jpeg or Png

There is no Save size limit there as there is in Save for Web (which Dave told me is "deprecated" (soon to be removed in some future version).

Also the new File > Export commands do not have the 8192 limit either. So you can try a quick export as png or jpeg without those limits.

I just tried it on a 10,000 px file Export too jpeg and it works.

I know little about illustrator so be sure to visit the Illustrator forum for Ai related questions.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

There is no Save size limit there as there is in Save for Web (which Dave told me is "deprecated" (soon to be removed in some future version).

I've not seen anything specific to remove Save for Web soon - but the fact that it is marked "legacy" shows that its replacements under Export are preferred and that further development on SOW is unlikely.  Unfortunately - in my view,  those replacements (Quick Export and Exports As)  are not up to the task yet - so, until they are, long may SOW continue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the new "Export As" to see if it had similar limits

A 30000 x 30000 pixel image- could only be exported at 33%  i.e. 9000x9000

but

A 30000 x 1000 pixel image could be exported at 100% i.e. 30000 x 1000

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, since in Illustrator there is no other pixel related saving than in the web menu, Photoshop is the only possible way to do what I want to do in the shortest amount of time.
That workaround through Photoshop works fine, so that is the solution for me.

But yesterday I stumbled over another weirdness. I thought it would also be size related, but found the solution this morning, and just tell it here for completeness:

I had two Illustrator pictures to save, one vertical, one horizontal.

- With the horizontal one everything works fine: I opened it with 9000px*14043px, so the short side is at least 9000px. and saved it.
Both PNG and JPG are possible here (and a whole other bunch of Formats).

- I opened the vertical one in the same way: 9000px*12724px, and could save as JPG but not as PNG and some other formats.

Solution: It was just simply the color mode.

I had opened the second pic in CMYK since the AI file was once saved for print.

(you probably would have known that but it was new to me, that I can’t save a png in that color mode.)

Ok, that was that: the odyssey of saving images …

Thank you very much guys!

And I’ll explore the export function a bit further!

Nadine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines