• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR upgrade to 6 and Canon 5D Mk4 raw. This should be simpler than it appears.

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

First, I do not need or want Adobe CC. My Full producers suite in CS6 is wonderful, more than I need.

But if I buy the new Canon 5D Mk4 I evidently hit a wall with regard to Mk4 raw files.

I'm on Mac OS 10.8.5 and I'd like to upgrade from LR3 to LR 6 *solely* for the purpose of handling the Mk4 raw files. I don't care about the haze feature or the dual pixel thing. I just want the basic raw files to remain within an Adobe workflow.

It should be a simple question. Is this a route I can take?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

I guess the answer depends on what you consider "simple".

You have to update your operating system first to OSX 10.10 or later.

Then you can purchase, download and install Lightroom 6.12 (actually you would download LR 6.0 first and install that and then apply the 6.12 update) and then you will be able to import and use your RAW photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the answer depends on what you consider "simple".

You have to update your operating system first to OSX 10.10 or later.

Then you can purchase, download and install Lightroom 6.12 (actually you would download LR 6.0 first and install that and then apply the 6.12 update) and then you will be able to import and use your RAW photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the webpage where you can purchase Lightroom 6:

Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)

Change the option to upgrade, and the price will change. The initial install of Lightroom 6 will not support your camera. Be sure to install the latest update. After you do that then your camera will be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so I bought the 5D Mk4 and the stand alone Lightroom Upgrade. Then I went to install the update which it could not complete but did not tell me why. Then it said my version of Lightroom is...up to date! But it won't allow the raw files. I am on OS 10.8.5 and prefer to keep it that way for the time being. The Lightroom upgrade is fine with it. But could it be the *update* is not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us the exact version NUMBER of your Lightroom installation. I want the number. Do not say words like "up to date". Go to Help->System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am. The upgrade states it is possible and it is now on my system and operational...except for the Mark4 Raw issue. As for the "number of the installation", is that called something else? I see nothing saying "installation number"

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Mushet

As for the "number of the installation", is that called something else? I see nothing saying "installation number"

In Lightroom, click Help > System Info

The Lightroom version is the first line in the white box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you'd need to update to version 6.12, and as stated above, you cannot do this with OSX 10.8.5. You need to update your operating system to at least OSX 10.10 to get this to work.

There are workarounds, such as using the free Adobe DNG Converter, version 9.12. Did I mention it is free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG converter 9.7 ALSO requires OS X 10.10 or above.  The OP is going to have to upgrade the OS to use RAW from the 5d mk4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob. Looks like there is no way to use these RAW photos from a 5D Mk IV in OSX 10.8.5 with Adobe Software. The Canon software that comes with the camera could be used to convert the RAW to TIF, and then the TIF could be imported into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the Canon software will work on 10.8 but it might not.  The OP will have to research that as I have no interest in Canon DPP. Apple is almost to 10.13 so the OS is an antique in computer years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So, as entirely predicted, this has been a torturous pain in the ass. I've bought LR 6 and attempted to do the upgrade. It accepted the upgrade after saying it would not work on Mountain Lion. Fine. So I upgraded my OS to Sierra and opened Lightroom which tells me it is up to date. Yet it still won't open a 5D Mark 4 raw file. WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us the version NUMBER of Lightroom that is now installed. Go to Help->system Info and report the version NUMBER of Lightroom shown there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Look what I found:

Lightroom: Unable to update to 6.12 from 6.10.1 (Mac) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Exactly the nightmare scenario I expected and it has just eaten another day of my time. How do I speak directly to a tech support at Adobe over this?

Also, a NY Investment firm is surveying industry professionals in the design and photo worlds regarding their views on Adobe before investing. I am scheduled for an interview next week. That phone call is going to be a lot more colourful and negative after this experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mark+Mushet  wrote

Well. Look what I found:

Lightroom: Unable to update to 6.12 from 6.10.1 (Mac) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Exactly the nightmare scenario I expected and it has just eaten another day of my time. How do I speak directly to a tech support at Adobe over this?

To answer your question about how to speak directly to Adobe ... I don't know.

I do know that both myself (in reply #1) and Jim Hess (in reply #2) told you that you would need to download and install the update the 6.12; hard to provide better support than that ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate everybody's input but what I've said is that I bought it *and* gone through the update process being very clear I need 6.12. It seemed to update then wouldn't open a raw file from Mk4. So that was a test to see if it might work on Mountain Lion.

So today I upgraded to Sierra, opened the newly bought (and theoretically updated LR) only to find that it is not and when I check it online it says it's up to date when it's clearly not.

If you read the thread in the link I posted you'll find that the Byzantine nightmare is not solely of my imagining! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the new, distilled question will be: My LR 6 will not update to 6.12. I am not a computer programmer, nor do I understand why Adobe can't be like Canon or Apple and make tech support by a phone a "thing". I just spent $100 to update this and lost more than a full day. At this point they should refund the update cost at the very least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK. So I tried a reinstall on Sierra and tried the update. I am now ill with stress because I have client files I need to open. Here's what I got the first time and now again.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 7.59.36 PM.png

Then this:

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 8.00.07 PM.png

I've tried numerous times and nada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system is shown in System Info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on OS 10.8.5 and prefer to keep it that way for the time being. The Lightroom upgrade is fine with it. But could it be the *update* is not?

If you're still on OS X 10.8.5 then you're not running Lightroom 6. It requires at least OS X 10.10 as mentioned in the first post from dj_paige above.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines